HELP! Need song for wedding.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Dayna Wills

HELP! Need song for wedding.

Post by Dayna Wills »

I was told the song is called FRIENDS by Anne Murray. Does anyone know where I can find it? Is it on an album, and which one? I don't know for sure that FRIENDS is the actual title. Anyone got a clue?

------------------
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Dayna, I don't know that tune, Friends, but if you get really stuck a very popular tune for weddings is Lyle Lovett's "She's No Lady, She's My Wife".

<i>
She hates my momma
She hates my daddy too
She likes to tell me
How much she hates the things I do
She likes to lie beside me almost every night
Man, she's no lady, she's my wife"!

</i>(Of course the lucky couple has to have a good sense of humor for this tune! Image)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 28 August 2000 at 09:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
bill ramsey

Post by bill ramsey »

hank snow's, with this ring i thee wed is a good one. we do it all the time and they love it. bill

------------------
Jude James Shiels

Post by Jude James Shiels »

Bob Dylan wrote a song called 'The Wedding Song'. I'm not sure it has the same appeal as a Power of Love or a Wind Beneath My Wings though Image
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Actually, Paul Stookey (of Peter, Paul & Mary) wrote a VERY popular song for weddings called "The Wedding Song".
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

I guess it was back in sixty-three
When eatin' my cookin' got the better of me
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

I don't know, Earnest...you reckon that particular song may be a little too sappy and sentimental, even for a wedding??? Image Image Image
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Back in the spring I played a Wedding Cerimony on my SS HAWAIIAN steel guitar; and I play the "Hawaiian Wedding Song" and it was a huge hit and very intimate. It's a very beautiful song and fitting for any occasion and you can find it on CD and or if you can get someone to play it live; it's a "Winner" everytime.
Ricky
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I always wanted to do "(You're) Having My Baby"..... Paul Anka
Alan Shank

Post by Alan Shank »

I played and sang "The Right Combination", a Porter and Dolly song to my wife at our wedding. She loved it, and so did everyone else. Another excellent love song by Porter and Dolly is "The Fog Has Lifted (between You and Me)".
Cheers, and have a great wedding and marriage,
Alan Shank
Ron

Post by Ron »

How about The farmers dauter By merle Haggard?
Ron

------------------
Blane Sanders

Post by Blane Sanders »

I'd go with "Help Me Make It Through The Night"
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

How about, "I Like My Women A Little On The
Trashy Side." Of course I'm only kidding. Image

Here is a killer, "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker. Big "E" has a nice version of this on one of his albums (can't remember which one) played on C6. Follow up with the Hawaiian Wedding Song, and you will get all the weddings in your area. Image

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

rmason

Post by rmason »

Consider "Hawaiian War Chant" (Ames Bros.,
as I recall) early fifties.

------------------
Rod Mason

Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Dayna,
My daughter and I recently sang for my nieces wedding..."From This Moment On" which was recorded by Shania and Brian White..NOT country but a very nice song
L campbell

Post by L campbell »

Joe, you owe me a keyboard. I just spewed Jack and Coke all over this one.

Dayna, my personal favorite wedding song is Confederate Railroad's "The Day Daddy Let the Big One at the Horn Lake Mississippi Missionary Baptist Church". Not a dry in the house.

Les
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dayna
Havent heard that one It good tho! .Just the day the squirrel got loose in the First Self rihteus Church > ILl have to look for that one!

RON
Dayna Wills

Post by Dayna Wills »

Thanks, Guys. You are sooo helpful.

------------------
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

Dayna, I know this doesn't address your question, but since Jim Cohen brought up Lyle Lovett, it made me think of the tune he does as a duet with the writer of the song Townes Van Zandt, "If I Needed You". Beautiful song with lots of nice steel on it. EmmyLou Harris also does a nice version of it in a duet with Don Williams. I think it would be appropriate for a wedding.

???There was a song by Elton John called "Friends". You could check an MP3 sample on one of the search engines under his titles to see if that's the one you want.

...Or there's the Dionne Warwick tune "That's What Friends Are For".

...which for some strange reason made me think of the Rod Stewart line "with a face like that you've got nothin' to laugh about" from "Stay With Me"...come to think of it, that might not be a bad wedding tune for the real world today..."just don't be here in the morning when I wake up".<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Pat Burns on 16 September 2000 at 06:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mac Lloyd

Post by Mac Lloyd »

Dayna, I believe most appropriate would be "It's all over but the cryin'"
Peter Dollard

Post by Peter Dollard »

Some years ago I played with a band with limited technically abilities(very limited if you included mine). Anyways the only slow instrumentals we played were "Sleepwalk" and "Last Date". At some poor guy's wedding the head of the band had me play "Last Date" for the bride and groom's first dance together; talk about depressing and inappropriate I tried to hide under my steel but it didn't work. Pete.