Flowers on the Wall

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Theresa Galbraith

Flowers on the Wall

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I love Eric Heatherly's version. It really moves and grabs attention! Great job! Theresa
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Hi T.
I agree. very cool arrangement. You'll notice no one is posting on this thread because they've not heard of the guy yet. But he'll sell a few copies of this, and then he'll get bashed just like everyone else for his next song, because we all know that if you're selling any records, you can't possibly be any good, OR country for that matter. Image

John

------------------
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

erik

Post by erik »

LOL - John, just as i finished reading Theresa's post and before i started your's, my first reaction was, "never heard of him". Maybe i'll go over to cdnow and see if they have a cut i can sample. When you say "very cool arrangement" i wonder what you mean.

Theresa, your return has put a positive vibe back into this forum, as regards to new music.
Chris Dufrane

Post by Chris Dufrane »

I like Eric Heatherly's new song too. In my opinion I think it sounds better than the Statler Bros. version. I was talking with a band about a month ago and asked them if they knew the song. The drummer said,"No, but I know Daisys on the floor" I thought that was quite funny and still think of it every time I hear the song.
Chris
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

The first time I heard this song I thought," you can't do this to a classic Statler Bros. song".I always thought the natural harmony is what made this song. As with any new song the radio stations where I am from play this thing about 50 times a day. Once I got over the initial, OH NO, stage and began listening to the arrangement, I too thought it sounded very good. There are some songs that I think would sound very good in a remake and others that should be left alone. Heatherly's version of Flowers on the Wall is starting to grow on me and the more I listen to it, the more I think he did a very good job.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Eric Heatherly was on the premear program of Western Beat. he gleens a lot of influences including Brian Setzer. Also Mercury has this cd cheeper then most new releases.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I like the new version.

Actually, I never really cared for the Statler Bros. version. Yes, I know it launched their career; and yes, I know it was number one on the country charts; and yes, I know it crossed over good too.

It just always sounded like "The Limelighters" singing something by "Homer and Jethro" to me!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 23 July 2000 at 06:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

Its Amazing that something this good is without steel! I love the drums as it fades out! See not everything has to have steel! Only 99% Al
Dean Brown

Post by Dean Brown »

I like this version too. Our band worked it up about 3 weeks ago and the crowd loves it when we play it. On the other hand... I bought the CD and there's really no country on it at all. I can't think of one song with a steel and "Flowers" is as close as he gets. He's really just another artist using a song everyone will recognize, but leaving the country out of it. Just my humble opinion.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Heck yeah! And there is plenty of sweeeeeeeett keyboard sounds on this disk. This CD is soooo good that I feel that I should share it with someone. If anyone wants my promo copy, let me know before it ends up as either a coaster or part of a 50 cent lot of junk for sale on ebay.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

what he said
Stephen Gregory

Post by Stephen Gregory »

Why did he have to change the melody?
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

Right on Theresa. I caught myself rocking to the beat while I was working the other night. I love the remake of the song and his singing. Image
JB Arnold

Post by JB Arnold »

Theresa

See what I'm talking about?

JB

------------------
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

John,
I was just about to write and tell you how right you are about if it isn't country, it isn't music!
To bad people have to slam success rather than listen for the musicianship in a song.
Theresa<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 21 July 2000 at 07:03 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

When I first heard it it floored me,how can you not call this song country. Super job for this unknown soon to be not so unknown. Great arrangement.

------------------
CJC

Rich Paton

Post by Rich Paton »

I like both versions. Oddly, I seem to have
an off-the-wall precogative sense regarding covering some classic tunes. Often when I get the urge to convince our group to learn an old song, soon afterwards it comes out as a great re-make on the radio.
"Flowers" is the latest example. Now I'm waiting for a cool version of "Nashville Cats" to come out. It was recently cut by a major Bluegrass Group, but I'm not sure if THAT counts or not! :>)
erik

Post by erik »

Finally heard this song completely from start to finish (I think this also means i don't listen to the radio too much Image). Anyways, i do like it. The main rhythm guitar sounds like it might be a Dan Electro (maybe?). The crunch guitars kinda remind me of the Outlaws (70s rock group). But still, i would classify this as "Country", albeit, "new".
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

Well, I have to disagree with you on this one, Theresa.

Of the two versions, I like the Statlers better.

I don't really care of either version that much, though.

PS: I sent you an 8x10 of Brian/Tyler via Brian via The Wilkinsons. Hope it makes it to you. If it doesn't, Tyler's probably got it.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons
http://members.xoom.com/dpennybaker/index.htm

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Pennybaker on 09 September 2000 at 09:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Buddy Carter

Post by Buddy Carter »

I got to listen to this CD, and I can't help but wonder if this is the sound of a record label killing a talented artist's career. From what I've read, Eric Heatherly is something of a rockabilly cat, but that doesn't really show on this CD. I don't doubt his talent; he has a great voice. I've just a notion that his label is just generating formula product. Of course, this is pure speculation; I guess that means I should keep my mouth shut...
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Anyone remember the original version of "Flowers" in the background of the film Pulp Fiction?..classic.