Hillbilly Highway guitar question

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jon Light

Hillbilly Highway guitar question

Post by Jon Light »

Those of you who know the Steve Earle song--you know the guitar vamp I'm talking about. Who, and more important what is that!!?? It twangs so hard but not in a Tele way. Gretch? Baritone guitar? With what sort of effects?
Anybody?
Pete Ballard

Post by Pete Ballard »

Jon,

After reading your post, I got out my Guitar Town record and listened to it for the first time in a while. That album is a classic example of how some recordings just sound better on vinyl than they do on CD. I'm not sure if the mixing on to CD was poor or what. But on my turntable, the rockin' stuff rocks harder and the more quiet stuff sounds warmer. Hearing those vinyl imperfections on "My Old Friend the Blues" just makes it sound better. Great album. Steel all over the place.

By the way, I don't have the answer to your question (you're probably right, it sounds like a Gretch or something similar). But my question is why doesn't Steve Earle make albums like this anymore? I saw him play in Pontiac a little while ago. He still puts on a pretty good show, very rock and roll. No steel to be found though. As a matter of fact, the opening act even had a b@njo player. Oh well.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Jon-I believe that is probably Richard Bennett-he did a lot of the real early Earle stuff.I haven't heard that record in a long time,but I imagine he used either a big Gretsch or a Danelectro-he is the master of that low,slinky stuff.I'll try to find the LP in all this junk-I'm sure the credits will tell.You ought to hear Richard play steel!
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Low and slinky in spades! And oily and shimmery and all sorts of other good stuff. Marty Stuart opened the TV Opry segment with this song--great choice!--and his guitarist covered the part perfectly but it just didn't have the slinky thing happening so I put on the original and shivered again like I always do when the guitar kicks in.

Your point is one I hear said a lot, Pete. I guess we all tune into different stuff when we listen. I'm so totally sold on the convenience and virtual indestructability of CDs that I overlook their sonic shortcomings. I remember when it was a new technology and the industry was trying to convert their catalogs to digital. There were some sorry sounding products--especially classical music--strings that sounded like tea kettles whistling off the stove--shrill city. But I think they have improved and I've grown accustomed to the modern marvels.
I have played tape and CD side by side and noticed a fatness that was missing on the CD. But not enough to kill me.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jon Light on 29 August 2000 at 12:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I have an early recording of Steve Earle from Austin City Limits (about the time guitar town was released). He does "Guitar town" , but I don't remember if he does the song you are refering to. The lead guitarist (not Richard Bennett on this show) is playing a hybrid custom black Tele with a baritone neck, and a couple of scruggs tuners at the low end. It has a low tele/dano baritone plunk to it. Nice sound.
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

It was in fact Richard Bennett. Richard used a Gretch 6120 guitar for those sessions.

On other tracks you will find Paul Franklin playing great "rockabilly" steel (as he calls it on his Effects Instructional Tape).

Richard played on many early 90's MCA sessions for producer Tony Brown. Other acts featuring Richard are Marty Stuart and Vince Gill. He is an accomplished guitarist that favors: Gretch, Martin Acoustics, Teles, fretted dobros, and lap steels. When visiting him at his home in Nashville's West End, a few years back , he had a wonderful display of hawaiian guitars, in a display with seashells, and netting in the corner if his basement. In addition an awesome Mono/Tube setup for the correct reproduction of old 78's.

He is a genius player. Listen to the Twangy 'drone' bass string licks on "Hillbilly Rock" or the melodic tremelo laden solo on "Tempted". Tunes by Marty Stuart.

Richard was the band leader and guitarist for Neil Diamond for about ten years. Back then he was playing a Steinberger Gtr.

I wish he had done more or hope he will in the future. He is truly one of my favorite guitar players.

Tim Harr
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Amen to all of the above!

Saw Steve Earle in Chicago at the Park West about 15 years ago & Richard Bennett just tore it up with those low, sinuous, slinky riffs referred to above: great tone & taste & used about about a half-dozen guitars during the set, including a wacky-looking Fender 12-string. "Sweet Little '66" was just incredible. Bucky Baxter wasn't too shabby on steel, either, but clearly it was Richard's band.

I'll bet you a nickel it was Richard on Radney Foster's cover of "The Running Kind" on the Hag/Hunger tribute a few years ago. Richard is one of those few guys (Carlos Santana, B.B. King, Wes Montgomery) who is instantly recognizable.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Frank Freniere on 01 September 2000 at 11:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

The Hillbilly Highway riff is easy enough to play (the notes, that is--not the 'slink') and I'm having a ball playing with it on steel. Bennett's touch is so rubbery that it is almost halfway between guitar and steel in sound so some pedalling really brings out the slink in this.
It's nice having the extended range of the U-12 for this.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Hmmmm.... maybe it was Mike I saw back then with the Dukes. He surely was good.