ok you scream no country left well here it is.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Randall Harrington

ok you scream no country left well here it is.

Post by Randall Harrington »

I went over to the Ernest Tubb record shop Friday, and bought the Ray Price Box set 10 cd's it ranges from the early recordings through the mid to early 60's some of the early stuff wasn't that great but when you get to the shuffle tunes , if that stuff won't make um dance nothin will. Buddy Emmons,Jimmy Day,Tommy Jackson,Johnny Gimble,
Harrold Bradly, and so on all of them play there ass off.You guys complain about the music not sounding county enough so go spend your money on some of this stuff instead of financialy supporting the stuff you gripe about.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Personally, I don't usually gripe much about modern top 40 country, but I sure dont spend any of my hard earned dollars on it, and I sure as heck don't listen to it on purpose. Here is some stuff that I don't complain about: Buck Owens, Johnny Horton, Lefty Frizzel, Webb Peirce, Bob Wills, Al Dean & his All Stars, Johnny Bush, Hank Thompson, Faron Young, Loretta Lynn, Ray Price, Charlie Pride, Dwight Yoakam, Willie Nelson, Ernest Tubb, and I will go ahead and mention Buck Owens again just for good measure. Also, George Jones, Merle Haggard, & Hank Williams. Asleep at the Wheel, Derailers, Dale Watson, Ed Burleson, and a band called The Souviners with a fine Sho-Bud player named Don Pawlak. Did I mention Buck Owens?? Help me out, who have I left out??
bill ramsey

Post by bill ramsey »

ya'll are my kind of musicians. i have a country band here in danville va, we play just about all traditional with a smile and enjoy it. we have to play some new but no smiles on my end. say what they want to but in my book there aint but one kind of music i can really enjoy[country!!!!!] all the names above and more. bill ramsey

------------------
Curry Coster

Post by Curry Coster »

Please add Connie Smith, Jeannie Seely, Mel Tillis, Ricky Skaggs, and Darrell McCall to that list. And Buck Owens again for good measure.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Curry Coster on 01 August 2000 at 10:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Gene Watson and don't forget Buck Owens....... Image Image Image Ray
Howard Kalish

Post by Howard Kalish »

How 'bout Wynn Stewart and Don Walser
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

I think it's a lack of live real country music that people complain about.

When's the CD release party ? Image
-John
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

Makes the Strait and Jackson song Murder On
Music Row mean something doesn't it? I'll put my 2 cents worth in here and list Vern Gosdin. He's not near the Jones or Haggard type but man what songs.

CHISELED IN STONE!!!!!!

Dan
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Did somebody mention Buck Owens? Image

carl
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Randall...

Please remember that if it WASN'T for people like us "griping", your 10 CD box set would have never been made!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most times, the big recording companies "bury" the "old" stars LONG BEFORE their family does!

When I visited the ET Record shop early last year, they only had 5 or 6 albums available by ET. Heck..I got more than that!

When a few hundred people b***h about nothing being available....THEN they "might" re-release some of the old stuff they've been sitting on for years. (Or allow someone else to do it!)
Randall Harrington

Post by Randall Harrington »

Donny for what it's worth a German lable named "Bear Famly Records" has got hold of most of these artist original studio recordings and the reproduction sounds better than the original albums ever did but some of the sets aint cheap (oooooops Aint Aint a word.)but the ones i have bought were well worth the money spent.
P.s. The Ernest Tubb record shop #1-800-229-4288 and the DFW area shop #817-624-8449
gene brown

Post by gene brown »

I'll vote for Darrell McCall, total country, and one of the most down to earth guys you will ever meet.He and his wife MONA are two of the best in country music today.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I've got 27 ray Price albums, a whole set which includes a few rare LP's on Ebay and the bid's only up to $15.50. If it doesn't reach the reserve I'll sell for less. Actually my son and I are auctioning off my dad's entire record collection of 2200 45's and around 1500 LP's. We just sold the entire Ernest Tubb 45 (rpm) set of 127 including 4 EP's (these are 45's with 4 songs each) for $100 so we are not getting collectors prices. We are selling an artist at a time and will soon be auctioning off 150 steel records, 25 at a time. All of these include rare Starday and King releases and artists such as Frankie Miller. I had to let his set of 17 Loretta Lynn LP's go for $40 so there are some good deals. Just search under SELLER on Ebay USERID=gcutshaw. We are trying to get 5 groups out a week and just are not equipped to handle individual requests. OK, the end of the shamelss promotion! How this ties in is I have been playing some of this stuff before it goes out and it blows my mind how in tune and dynamic the singers were with no computer corrected voices. We do have a lot of the Bear sets and they are amazing in that the sound is very close to the vinyl. I hope soon they migrate to the HDCD, 20 bit encoding which is supposed to capture all the harmonic nuances of vinyl. Two of the last Bluegrass CDs we bought including Ralph Stanley JR's album are HDCD and unfortunately I don't have the equipment that will decode all 20 bits (only 16). Visit HDCD Web Site for info on what it is and what mfg's have it etc. The Bear Ray Price set will be my next purchase.

Greg
Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

Steve B - you bet, you hit my regular rotation on the nailhead too.... just one to add, Carl Smith - his cut of "There She Goes" from the mid-1950s will always be one of my favorites, he was one of my grandpa's favorite singers from that great era - and among my first recollections of music in my ears. "each step she takes.... brings more heartache my way" - Neil H.