Who was steel guitarist for Porter Waggoner on TV shows in 6

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Larry Lenhart

Who was steel guitarist for Porter Waggoner on TV shows in 6

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Thanks to my good friend John Hanusch in Tucson who fixed my reel to reel recorder, I am enjoying listening to the old programs I recorded from TV shows in the 60's-Porter,
Ernest Tubb, Billy Walker, Buck Owens, Wilburn Borthers, etc. As you know, there was alot of good steel playing on those shows !!
Anyway, as I recall the man who played steel on Porters show played a Sho Bud with 3 pedals on it, and played standing. Is my memory correct on this, and who was the man. Also I cant remember who played steel on Billy Walkers show-Sonny ??????? BTW I am making CDs out of alot of those old tapes so I wont have to depend on my reel to reel in case it breaks down again.
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

I think his name was Don Wardon.
All the best,-Andy
Gregg Galbraith

Post by Gregg Galbraith »

Don Wardon played steel with Porter on the road and on the tv show for years. Memory is failing me concerning the Billy Walker show, but it may have been Walter Haynes. Walter played steel on the early episodes of "That Good Old Nashville Music", and I think he may have done Billy's show also.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

It was Don Worden. He played with Porter for many years. He kept to his own style of playing.....al
Ric Epperle
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming USA . Like no other place on Earth... R.I.P.

Post by Ric Epperle »

I met Billy Walker in Sacramento in 1970 during a show. At that time, he had a steel player with him by the name of Bill Po. As I recall, he played a Sho-Bud. In fact, Bill convinced my dad to buy a Sho-Bud.
Dan Dickey

Post by Dan Dickey »

I seem to remember Don Wardon standing up to play the steel. Am I remembering correct or did that just walk into my head from somewhere?

Dan
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Yep, Don did stand up to play. You might be able to catch some of the old Porter Waggoner shows here: http://www.broadcast.com/concerts/willienelson/nationtv/ although lately they seem to be playing just The Wilburn Brothers. Of course that's not too shabby either, Don Helms or Hal Rugg depending on when you catch it.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

larry,
id like to have some of that stuff if you ever copy it and want to sell it.