Watson

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

BJ Bailey

Watson

Post by BJ Bailey »

I have alway been a Gene Watson Fan,but as of today I have also become a Dale Watson Fan.
My Daughter ,bought me one for Fathers day.
Now you talk about country to the bone,this tape is.
To some of you that are already familar with his material and style of honkytonk singing,Im refering to a song called Nashvill rash.
IT kinda fall's in the same catogery as the song ,Murder on music row,just in a differant style and beat.
And it has ,None other but the great Jimmy Day On steel.
You talk about picking ,Jimmy shows his great talent on this tape.
And that aint all,there plenty of steel on this tape.
This is not the correct title of the tape but close,I do'nt have the tape close by.
COLD HEART CHEATING SONGS, That pretty much it though .
Should you buy it ,one thing I know you want be disapointed in the STEEL WORK.
I, just wanted to share this with you.I wish I could have found this quilty materiel ,in a lot of the other tape's I have bought Image BJ

------------------
BJ Bailey

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BJ Bailey on 17 June 2000 at 09:18 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BJ Bailey on 17 June 2000 at 09:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Anne Marie O Keeffe

Post by Anne Marie O Keeffe »

"Help me Merle I'm breaking out in Nashville Rash........ "Nah! I won't go on just go and get the album everyone. This is one of the best put together songs I have ever heard.

It's called "Cheatin' Heart Atack" B.J. and isn't it just brilliant. We have all of Dale's albums but this is my favourite. Love 'em all but this is the one I listen to most often.
Your daughter's gone and done it now B.J.'cos you won't be happy until you've heard all the others too. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Anne Marie O Keeffe on 18 June 2000 at 08:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Herrick

Post by Mark Herrick »

She's right BJ.

I bought "Cheatin' Heart Attack" and within a week I had to go out and buy all the other CD's as well!

If you haven't seen Dale live, its a must!

Apparently Dale Watson is more popular in Europe than here in the states. At the show I saw last night, Rosie Flores mentioned that she had just returned from England and all everyone she talked to at her shows wanted to talk about was Dale Watson!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark Herrick on 18 June 2000 at 01:49 PM.]</p></FONT>
BJ Bailey

Post by BJ Bailey »

How many other cd do'es he have out ?
I only saw one other,listed in the E.T.Record shop book>
I most definitly got to get some more, if the Steel work is on it, like on this particual one.
So again I ask, is the steel there .and where would I get a list?

------------------
BJ Bailey

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Hey BJ Dale has 5 CD out. Cheatin' Heartattack is the first. Blessed or Damned is the second; I hate these songs is the third; Truckin Sessions is the four and we cut one off lable here in the states called "People I've known and Places I've Seen" that you can get I think all of them on the website or at the gigs on that last one. I played on Truckin' Sessions and People I've known; and those two have alot of steel on them I made sure of it Image
The first one has Marty Rifkin and Jimmy Day and Scott Wall playing steel. The second has Scott Walls and Lloyd Maines playin' and the third has Lloyd Maines and Marty Muse and Herb Steiner on it.
So all the Dale Watson CD's are well covered in Steel from alot of steel players and Dale loves the steel guitar and makes sure all his CD' are fully loaded.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Steve Pacholl

Post by Steve Pacholl »

Ricky; Any word on when Dale's new CD will be out? Was that to be on WB/Sire?

Another CD that is a must that Dale appears on is Wandering Eyes - songs of Forbidden Love. Dale does a wonderful duet with Kelly
Willis and a great cover of Lovin' on BackStreets along with a Watson original.
Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

BJ, the comment from Mark in NY is dead on - catch Dale and his crew live sometime if you get a chance at all. I was just in Austin,TX last weekend and caught DW at the Continental Club and the Derailers at the Broken Spoke back-to-back nights. fantastic!

Ricky D will be a great loss to Dale. Ricky, best of luck with your next endeavors, was great to talk to you last week, I appreciate the conversation very much.

Dale will be spending a fair amount of time in the Midwest thru June/July - I'm looking forward to a July 12 date in Lincoln, Nebr. He has dates coming up in MN, WI, IA, MO, etc, so those of you in the heartland here, make a point to see him live, he doesn't get north out of TX all that often - not at all to be irreverent here, but Dale does have an eery Merle Haggard/John R Cash type presence on stage. I've told Dale before that with the collection of Hag, Buck, Cash, Hank T, Hank W, Lefty F, etc that I own, I'd often claimed that I really didn't give a damn if anyone ever recorded another lick of new music..... Dale has changed that for me, everything in his work hits right at the very core of my musical interests.
Neil Hilton - Kearney, Nebraska
Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

PS - Mark, the first time I saw Dale, was at the Continental in Austin WITH ROSIE FLORES.
I adore Rosie too and love her music. He opened for her, but they spent much of the night on stage together for the gig, they did an unbelievable cover of Cash's "Jackson" - Dale and Rosie as John and June --- "We got married in a fever... "

I've not had occasion to see Rosie Flores since, but would love to do so.... does she have a tour schedule on a website somewhere??
- Neil H.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Hey Steve Dale got out of that record deal so it is no longer. He is without a lable right now. Hey Neil great visting with you too and thanks for the nice words.
Ricky
Mark Herrick

Post by Mark Herrick »

Dale Watson's website:
http://www.dalewatson.realcountry.net/

I believe you can order most CD's directly.
Steve Pacholl

Post by Steve Pacholl »

BTW, Dale will be on the same ticket with
Gene Watson on July 22 in Sandstone, MN. An afternoon show and evening.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

As I wrote in Bar Chatter, it was just plain great seeing Ricky and Dale here in NYC Sat. night. Unfortunately, with Robbie Fulks and Rosie Flores opening, and with two shows, Dales set was pretty short. Ricky said that back home they would have just been warming up when it was time to close the early show.
I wasn't up for sitting thru Robbie and Rosie again (nothing negative implied although I'd much rather hear Rosie rocking down with an electric set rather than as an acoustic single--just my opinion of her strengths).

Man, if they make a movie of Hag's life, they'd plain be stupid to not cast Dale as the early '60s Hag.

It was a great evening of music and it was an awesome steel lesson.
It was so great to spend some time with Ricky and now I will look forward to the next time around and the chance to meet and hang with Emmett.
Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

Jon, regarding your Haggard comment -- I first saw Dale just last October in Austin, but have seen and old tour poster from several years ago still on the wall in the ZOO BAR in Lincoln, Nebraska that bills Dale as "The Second Coming of Merle Haggard". That poster in itself, prompted my initial interest in him and his music - certainly haven't been dissappointed a bit!
- Neil H.
streifel

Post by streifel »

Dale Watson, Ricky Davis & Co. were in the Washington DC area last night and we heard 2 hours of great music. Watch for them on the Opry this weekend.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

It's great to see the number of Dale Watson fans continue to grow. I know he’s done it without much help from radio, TV and record companies. I hope The Opry will be a big boost. I intend to call the local country station both before and after The Opry show just to badger the program director.

Yeah, Hag fans should all give Dale’s discs a spin; no chance of you being disappointed. Neil is a hardcore fan who makes the rounds everywhere from Nebraska to Austin, Bakersfield and elsewhere just to hear the real stuff. Neil, thanks for the e-mail “trip reports”. It’s fun reading and I’m glad you got together with Dale and Ricky.

I've got "I Hate These Songs" an it never leaves my car, except when I loan it to a "future DW fan". Image (and of course when I play it in the house). I’m hoping for a tour date back in the Cincy area (whimped-out on the Lexington date), but Amazon is a good alternative for now.

Best wishes on the Opry and thereafter, Ricky. Give my regards to DW.

------------------
HagFan