Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Kenny Yates

Don Rich Picture

Post by Kenny Yates »

A Very young Don Rich

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

What a nice picture and clear as a bell!

Some musician!

Thanks!

------------------
HagFan
Ron Whitworth

Post by Ron Whitworth »

WOW!!!! What a picture!!..Nice to see a picture when the musician's were very proud to be onstage & actually dressed up..I have at times actually been embarassed to be onstage with some musician's as the want to look like they are going to the beach instead of playing for an audience..Anyway;a joy to see one of the greatest country Tele picker & fiddle player & harmony singer's that EVER lived!! Ron
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Is this the same "Don Rich" that played lead Guitar and did harmony with "Buck Owens" ??

I remember him as the singular bond that held the "Buck Owens" sound together.

When he died in the motorcycle accident, a void in the sound was NEVER replaced !

I didn't realize that he was a fiddle player too. I guess a person of his talents will never be fully appericated untill well after the last song is sung.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Even Buck admitted it was never the same after Don's untimely death.

IMHO, Don was one of the greatest musicians and showmen ever to play a musical instrument.

His smile and personality was unprecedented and shown through to all who watched. What an incredible human being he was. He epitimozed "happiness".

Incidently that band including Don, Tom Brumley, Willie Cantou and Doyle Holly was one of the finest bands ever assembled in my opnion. Up there with the Troubadors when Buddy Charleton and Leon Rhodes were in their prime.

OH why can't we have something like that again?

God bless us all for what has happened,

carl
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Carl, I think the additional thing that made Buck's band noteable was the TV exposure from his show and Hee Haw; and that they did a lot of the studio work.

I'm sure there are several fantastic bands touring today, but we are only made aware of them when we attend live shows.

Of course, the guys laying it down in the studios today are great too. I don't mean to take anything away from them. Just leave the distortion pedals unplugged. Image

------------------
HagFan
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

kenny,
were we ever that young?
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Don was on the Buck Owens Ranch Show,I think he was killed before "Hee Haw".Willie Cantu What a drummer.Don had a masters degeree in music from, I believe Washington State Univ.Ray
Kenny Yates

Post by Kenny Yates »

Cris, I'm not even gonna touch that, but if I did I would say, or that good looking

Ken
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

Don Rich was the man. His smile was infectious and his playing influenced everyone form George Harrison to Marty Stuart.
I have a couple episodes of HEEHAW with Don backing Buck and playing a hoedown or two on the fiddle.

I'd say two bands keeping that classic Bakersfield Sound alive these days are Merle Haggard & the Strangers of course, and the Derailers from Austin.
The Derailers appear at Buck's Crystal Palace on a regular basis, and Buck does a guest vocal on their latest CD 'Full Western Dress', so it appears that Mr. Owens approves. Check 'em out!
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Thanks Scott; I thought He was taken from us before HEE HAW.Glad you corrected me.Ray
Rich Mounce

Post by Rich Mounce »

And who can ever forget the "Buck Owens Live at Carnegie Hall" album...It just doesn't get much better than that!!...Don Rich was what a "front man" was all about...Never a better one and probably will never ever be a better one...

------------------
Free e-mail weekly "Country Update"...mail countryupdate@hotmail.com
Ray Cothren

Post by Ray Cothren »

Factoid: That was Don Rich playing fiddle on those Tony Booth LP's in the early 70's. Jay Dee on steel of course.
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Don died in 1974, Hee Haw's pilot episode was in late 1968. The series started to air in 1969.
The Buckaroos issued half a dozen or so Lp's with Don leading them, one of which was billed as 'Don Rich & the buckaroos'.

In 1973 Buck started to leave the Buckaroos name off the title of his releases.

Don also loved groups like the Band,and was a fan of progressive country. He did hang with some country rockers and did some great versions of the Band's material on the Buckaoos Lp's.
He cut an LP with Buddy Alan.
He also sessioned for Arlo Guthrie with the Buckaroos, and some ther Hollywood country veterans with a few country rock pickers for a 1973 LP.

There's a Bill Woods CD of rather primitve recordings that came out last year {made originally in 1961 and 1962}, they are from the bandstand of the Blackboard club and feature Don guesting on a couple of tracks on taking the lead vocals, all well as playing guitar atthe gig.
He was also on Bill Wood's 1963 single 'Truck Drivin' Man'

------------------
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I have a beautiful picture of Don with my oldest son who was 7 at the time. Buck was appearing at Riverside Amusement Park and I was playing the Beer Garden. As soon as I get my scanner back on I will try to post it. Couple of good pics of Buck too. Around 1970 I figure.

------------------
CJC

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 14 May 2000 at 04:47 AM.]</p></FONT>