Age of Dobro players...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Lindley

Age of Dobro players...

Post by Lindley »

I know that steel players on the average are a little older usually. (Not always) I just wondered if 57 (my age) is too old to begin learning to play dobro. It's nothing at all like my Emmons...
Jimmy T. Vaughn

Post by Jimmy T. Vaughn »

Go for it, tune it up in E B G# E B E and you will find a lot of things you already know.
JV
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

I once had a student (regular guitar, that was) who was 63, didn't know upside down to a guitar when he came to me.
Now he's enjoying his playing very much and so is his family. It's NEVER too late, just go for it!
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I've never owned one and only sat down and fooled with one maybe 10 or 15 times in the 30+ years I've played steel.They always sounded like strings stretched over a bucket and with that goofy simple 1-3-5-1-3-5 tuning,I just didn't get it.See,I always tried to play it like a lap steel and just couldn't see how anyone could play any real music like that.Lately though,I've discovered that in it's traditional form,it's NOT a lap steel - it's a BANJO - it's all rolls,hammers and pull offs and a little bit of sliding - it's key specific like a banjo but it can be capoed.Once I got past that,the sky just opened up and now at age 55,I'm like a kid in a candy store - I can't get enough dobro.Greg Leisz loaned me an OMI Dobro D-60 to practice on until I get something real nice.BTW,there's a guy here in L.A. named George Blevins who's making fine instruments and a lot of Scheerhorn and Beard players are moving to his guitars. Meanwhile I'm woodshedding my way thru the David Hamburger course and a few other books - and the bonus is when I get it together I have a gig waiting with one of the guys in my band(Cody Bryant)who does a bunch of Bulegrass and Irish acoustic gigs on the side. If you can play steel and have pick and bar skills you can pick it up very quickly. Go for it. -MJ-
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I played a Benoit Dobro in Dallas, 12 string, I was at Maurices house for a few days studying , he has one,he has it tuned to G, but lots of other things going on, I found it pretty easy to get around on, Maurice plays with a whole different approach, much more jazz oriented, very nice !! I have a 6 string right now, but put a 6th in the tunning, much better for me to play, it's a nice break to play one, I just don't play the traditional sound , I like to use a more progressive approach to playing it..I will be getting a 12 string soon...I am 52.....

------------------
DavidWright.us
Sierra Guitars

Sierra S-12 9&7
Peavey-2000-PX-300

George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

For what it's worth: Over the past 10 years or so, I have been teaching Hawaiian steel, (and more recently, ukulele) at a Senior's Drop-in Recreation Center. The membership age restriction of the Center is minimum 55 years. Therefore, none of my students are younger than 55. Over those years I have taught a few who were in their late eighties....(and they did play!) You are NEVER to old to learn...it's your ATTITUDE and DETERMINATION to learn which is so important. If you THINK old, you will ACT old. Plain and simple. Incidently, all of my students are enjoying their instrument, be it steel or ukulele. During this past semester which concluded this week, I had 26 seniors (55 - 82) playing steel and uke as an ensemble orchestra. Another senior student played r/guitar along with myself on electric bass ... a lovely sound played by a fun and enthusiastic bunch, believe me!
YOU ARE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN.
Terry Farmer

Post by Terry Farmer »

George, my hat is off to you sir!
Fred Brown

Post by Fred Brown »

55 going on 30. Just picked up a TUT Tennessean last Fall and loving every minute of it. I have a little bit (very little bit) of electric and acoustic guitar experience. And that helped. But if you are enjoying it and can put in a bit of time, you can learn it. Have fun!
Fred
David Ward

Post by David Ward »

I started playing the dobro when I was 52 and hardly ever pick up my flat-top or Tele anymore. I always tended to 'over play', as if I was getting paid per note. The simplicity of the root-third-fifth tuning and the haunting sound of the instrument keep me more honest.
George Keoki Lake

Just as a footnote, (and I am sure this is a very familiar story with everyone who reads this) .... Quite often a senior student will come to me and say, "George, the guitar is so much fun in my senior years! I plan to practice for about half an hour and before I know it, I've been practicing for over 3 hours !"

Incidently, for simplicity and fun, I teach in the E Major tuning. It has a very melodious (Hawaiian) sound especially suitable for senior's ears.

And Terry, you can put your hat back on...thanks ! Image Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 21 June 2003 at 09:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

While there is a substantial contigent of players that are, uh...mature Image, I'm host to 400 players on the RESOGUIT-L list and I'm under the impression that there is a large under 25 group who look to folks like Jerry Douglas for inspiration...

That means that some have little interest in the historic route of the instrument.

In my travels I've met a bunch in the 15-25 year old category. Pretty impressive group. If I thought to be worried about the future of the instrument I need not be.

One thing for sure..They won't be playing my music.

HowardP

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT-L

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 22 June 2003 at 08:04 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Just hit 49 today and loving every minute I can spend on my Crafter's Virginian. One thing I'll say- don't think for a minute that the root-3-5 tuning stack is limited, there's more great music hiding in there than one could ever find in a lifetime. Sure, lots of banjo rolls and open string stuff, but the melodic potential in any key is endless. And melodic styles containing up the neck notes with open strings are endlessly fascinating and fun. I love it!

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 22 June 2003 at 08:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
RB Jones

Post by RB Jones »

Mark, you are right. If you want to see how far you can go with a Dobro, check out Rob Ickes' new CD "What it is." Even Douglas hasn't gone this far. BTW I took three days of lessons from Ickes two weeks ago and everybody else in the group except for one looked over 45.

RB
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

46.....and still doing my best to extend
adolescence beyond all previous limits!
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

By the way Mark,
Happy Birthday,and many more! "clink!"
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Hi Guys: well, being 66, I'm not as ancient as our buddy Keoki, but I play Dobro regularly in the Peach Pickers, and my oldest student is 65 and he's really enthusiastic. Geo
George Keoki Lake

Just because Joseph Kekuku was my good buddy doesn't make me old ! Image Image
James Quackenbush

Post by James Quackenbush »

51 yrs young, and when I'm not pickin, I'm riding my motorcycle !!... Jim
Terry Goodman

Post by Terry Goodman »

RB,
If you think Douglas hasn't gone as far as Ickes "What it is" then you need to listen to some more Douglas Image

Terry