Steel Guitar Rag

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

I've always thought "Georgia Steel Guitar" to be a good substitute for "Steel Guitar Rag". It's a much prettier instrumental, yet some of the tune will remind you of "Steel Guitar Rag".

Usually, your audience won't know the difference. Image

Rick
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

We also do Ga steel and roadside rag plus others. Good songs.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Anyone care to post the lyrics for SGR ?
George Keoki Lake

(repeated in error)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 09 June 2003 at 11:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

I've rambled around, seen many a town, so maybe you think I'm the kind of guy to brag; but listen to me and see if you don't agree, no melody rolls like that old steel guitar rag;;;;;;; and when he slides that thing along the strings, it sounds so dog gone heavenly you here an angel sing, and when you pat your feet your heart will beat to the rhythem og that old steel guitar rag;;;;;; you may be kind of choosey bout the songs you like to hear, you may like songs thats bluesy make you cry right in your beer, but if you like a tune thats bound to drive away your cares, make happy your sole with that old steel guitar rag... This was taken off the Pee Wee King record. Keoki see your email.
George Keoki Lake

Thanks CC!
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

FYI, speaking of Bill Boyd and the Cowboy Ramblers, I am lead to believe they also recorded the original version of Roadside Rag. Clyde "Boots" Harris wrote and recorded Georgia Steel Guitar. Does anyone know who recorded New Roadside Rag? I still play SGR as well as all the above mentioned instrumentals and enjoy them as much today as I did the 1st time I played them. Image
------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 10 June 2003 at 03:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Al Braun

Post by Al Braun »

To add to Paul's note about JB's SGR intro. I was in the Korean thing and stationed for awhile at Camp(then)Stewart. The first hillbilly I ran into was Horace "Aitchy" Burns who was activated with the 129th Army Band fro Chattanooga. I had met H before in Tampa, he was one fantastic bass man. There were two bass players on JB's SGR, H doing the lickety pop intro and the strokes he made on that were amazing, he had calouses on the backs of his fingers as well as the front, he slapped the strings, then the neck, then the bass, then the bottom of the neck with the back of his fingers on the way up and picked the note. H was Jethro's brother, he dropped dead giving a music lesson in Knoxville after retiring from the army. He worked with JB on several of his recordings.
More history. Al
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Al: I thank you for that most interesting story. Everytime I think I've heard it all I find something new on the Forum to perk up my interest.

BTW, I was in that Korean thing too. I put almost a year on a mountain top radio relay site. I was up there when Hank Sr. died and it really tore me up. Almost every favorite I have by him had Jerry on the steel and then times changed and Don Helms showed me a whole new world of steel guitar. I'm going on 72 now and I still remember all those sounds as if it were yesterday. Thanks for the memory !!

Regards, Paul Image Image Image
Al Johnson

Post by Al Johnson »

Somebody mentioned Cliffie Stone. Yes, his name is listed, but so is Merle Travis, that man could write. Merle recorded Steel Guitar Rag more then once, he could sing it and swing it. I always felt Merle and Leon McAuliff would have made a good team but Merle always had a great steel player on his recording. His last Capitol LP rerecordings of some his hits with the great Curley Chauker and the Hank Thompson Band. I agree, I get a kick out of the Speedy West with vocal chorus great time Al
John Kavanagh

Post by John Kavanagh »

George, you recorded the Hoosier Hot Shots? I love the Hoosier Hot Shots! Why don't you be a generous guy and start a thread in the Music section sharing that experience? I'd really like to hear about it. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Kavanagh on 12 June 2003 at 09:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Harold Jack Baker

Post by Harold Jack Baker »

When you mention The Hoosier Hot Shots you might want to mention another great group of that time led by a fantastic entertainer Named Captain Stubby. He featured a singer named Tiny Stokes. I'm 75 and my earlier days on Steel and guitar were pushed by them and Jerry Byrd. Harold "Texas Jack" Baker Kokomo Ind. Sho-bud Pro,Fender Tele,Alvarez acoustic. enjoying being the head of a group playing steel.

------------------
Texas Jack
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Harold
Are you making reference to Capt Stubby and
The Buccaneers? Yep I worked opposite them as well...How about Al Trace and his hit song
"You Call Everybody Darling" written by Sam Martin..another good friend.
George Keoki Lake

In regards to the Hoosier Hot Shots, yes I did record them directly off the air on an old disc machine I had at the time. Unfortunately, those discs are long gone now. They were cheap, became brittle and just wore out. I can always remember the tin whistle sound before "Are You Ready, Hessie?" It was a great group. I wonder if anyone has the old masters and/or why someone doesn't bring them back on cd format for today's generation to enjoy ?
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

george:

there are 2 hoosier hot shots cds that i am aware of:

rural rhythm 1935-42 on columbia 52735; 20 of their best known songs such as i like bananas, goofus, moving day in jungletown, the girl friend of the whirling dervish, and from the indies to the andes in his undies; released 1992

are you ready hezzie on circle 905; 25 sides from world broadcasting transcriptions recorded in chicago in the 40s and early 50s; songs like wah-hoo, breezin along with the breeze, meet me tonight in the cowshed, sweet jennie lee, my little bimbo down on bamboo isle, etc. released 1993.

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Kenny- You mentioning "Georgia Steel Guitar", brings up a story.

One guy way years back, who became my friend, used to come in the club and ask me to play Georgia Steel Guitar.

I didnt know it. About the 3rd time he came in and asked me, I thought I better learn it.

So I Bought the Sheet Music , learned it, it is a nice very pretty steel guitar song.

The next time he came in and asked again, I said sure, and played it. You should see the big grin on his face. It was worth it.

We always made it a point to try and play all requests , whenever possible. That is what we got paid for.

As for Steel Guitar Rag, we always played it for the dancers, then speeded it up on the end......al Image.

------------------
[url=http://www.cmedic.net/~almarcu ... ~almarcus/ [/url]

Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Al Marcus can play anything, anywhere, any place on steel guitar.People like Al Marcus are rare both as a player and as a human being.
And add Pioneer to that mix and it add's up
to GREAT. Image

GOD BLESS YOU AL

Your friend and fan.edited by me for another
round of applause for a Steel Guitar Pioneer.

Jody Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 30 June 2003 at 06:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Danny Spinks

Post by Danny Spinks »

When I was with the Third Army Circle A Wranglers at Fort MacPherson, Horace J. "Pappy" Burns was the NCOIC of the Wranglers. One day the subject of Jerry Byrd's SGR recording came up and someone in the group asked me if I knew "Pappy" had played bass on the recording. I said I didn't, and then "Pappy" volunteered that SGR came about because they needed one more tune for the session, and the producer wanted Jerry to do SGR. He said Jerry did not want to do it, but finally agreed to, and gritted his teeth all the time he was playing it.
Keith DeLong

Post by Keith DeLong »

George, I'm going to Edmonton next month, would like to drop in and see you if possible. I can get your phone # from Charlie Fullerton. Hope to meet with you.
Keith DeLong
George Keoki Lake

Keith, it would be a delight to meet you. August is a rather busy month for me, but do call when you get here. I'm sure we can set something up.