------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

But not a steel guitar show.
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

I believe that my buddy Bob Hempker (who played for many years with Loretta Lynn) is still playing steel for Roy Clark, Tommy White will pick behind Ray Pillow (who'll probably do a good shuffle or swing tune), as for Yankee Grey I'm not familliar with them (new act?),and Steve Wariner "usually" has a good steel picker with him. Sounds like there'll be some steel there to me! Watch and see,and if the TV don't please you then listen to it on the radio,where you'll get to hear Tommy White always "blowin and goin' with the staff band and anything they play on.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Hey theres been a change in schedule.Merle Haggard,George Jones,Ray Price,Dale Watson,and Darrell MCCall are on the live portion Saturday night.After all it is April 1st.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 31 March 2000 at 03:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Well said, Bob and Dave!

------------------
JCH S/D10 3&4
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I was just commenting on the line up and the possibility for steel. True it's not a steel show, but we'd like to have the steel featured as much as possible.

If this were a fiddlers forum, the fiddlers would be promoting that instrument and hoping it got main billing as the backup instrument.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I would hope they at least have some Country Music.

------------------
CJC

Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

It aint country if it don't have a steel guitar. Image

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Did you read the line up?
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

As far as Hag Jones,Price,watson,McCall.on tonights Opry. Tee Hee. April Fool.

------------------
CJC

Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

I just read the lineup for tonight and it looks Country to me! I am not familiar with Yankee Gray but Roy Clark, Ray Pillow and Steve Wariner are very much Country. I think it will be a good show.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Kenny Dail,
It ain't country if it don't have a steel? Don't tell that to Johnny Cash & the Tennessee Two or a lot of the Marty Robbins hits. I could go on and on but I know you ain't been yourself lately having to work with that dog Sleepy John. That'd put me out of my mind too!

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

Thats only on our wish list Joe,be careful what you wish for,you may get the whole thing.Ray
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

The pop style and look of Yankee Gray has no appeal. Tommy White did sound good behind Ray Pillow.
Roy Clark and Steve Wariner seem to be pickin well as ever

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

I thought the show was great! I have been a Roy Clark fan since back when he was a nobody and he intertained audiences by playing Under The Double Eagle forward and backwards at the same time or something like that. At any rate, he is good and I still enjoy him. Ray Pillow sang a great song and Tommy White was fantastic backing him up. Steve Wariner is always great and tonight was no exception. Yankee Gray? If we be real quiet, maybe they will go back to Cincinnati.....cause they ain't country! Image
kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

Yank em off the Opry for good! I agree the rest of the show was way above average! Kyle
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Yankee Gray "sounds like someone who don't know which side to be on".Personally they were just another volume group, some a$$hole producer's pushing.Steve Wariners both songs were good and Ray Pillow showed em what good Country is. Except for the Yankee Gray it wasn't a bad show.It certainly was a hairpiece night with Bill Anderson and Roy together.If they dyed em green they could have the Astrodomes infield. Just wondering out loud ,where is Billy Walker? Why hasn't he been on for a while? Billy is still one of the true good country voices the Opry has. (band ain't bad either)

------------------
CJC

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 02 April 2000 at 05:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

I meant to ask what Bill Anderson had done to his wig last night because it looked funny. Kinda moused up or something. I'm just waiting for the day he comes out with it done up in corn rows or pin curls. Image
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Hairpieces were also the discusson on my review over in the No Depresson folder.
Those guys are also critical about the millit look

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

On Roy's two numbers I heard some steel harmonic glisses, was that my friend Bob Hempker? Tommy's work behind Ray was as usual exceptional. So far as Steve and YG are concerned...I can take'em or leave'em.

------------------

Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

Hi Jerry aka Mr. C6 Sucks, how's it goin in the hospital (as if I don't know). Just between You and Me (good title for a country song), I never bought a Johnny Cash record or a Marty Robbins without a steel guitar. I never said Johnny was country either. When Marty started leaving out steel, he gained in the pop charts but lost some in the country charts. BTW, Marty is my fav all time country singer. Image My fav album by Marty is the Hawaiian album that Jerry Byrd played on. Image Image

------------------

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I got to watch the Sat TV Opry last night (I always tape it). Except for the Ray Pillow segment, I fast forwarded through the rest of it.
Garryharris

Post by Garryharris »

Several years ago Roy Clark and a large cast went to Russia to entertain the folks there. There wasn't one steel guitar player in the group. This was back when a pedal steel guitar would have been the show stopper. But wait...that would have taken the glitter off the "star".