Opry Tonight

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Pete Nelson

Opry Tonight

Post by Pete Nelson »

Gee, it's after 11:00PM, and nobody has complained about the Opry yet. What's up??
Murray Cullen

Post by Murray Cullen »

I liked it. Anyone know who that girl was that sang and strummed a mandolin?
Bob Putnam

Post by Bob Putnam »

Murray,

That was Sonia Isaacs. She has been part of the Isaacs, a family Gospel group that has very strong ties to Bluegrass. They have worked with Ricky Skaggs, etc. Sonia has recently been on tour with Vince Gill as a back-up singer. I have seen her on the Opry before with her family.

Bob Putnam
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

No Complaints,Marty Stuart adds a little life to the MC-ing and even with a total traditional setting it moved pretty good and was a little different.Connie Sounded great,as did the nervous Sonia Issacs.Do you have the feeling Bill Anderson has a different head cover for any occasion? Fisher has been mixing it up.

------------------
CJC

Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I thought it was a good show, more on the traditional side.
Marty is a very good MC, Connie was very good. Sonia did a great job, the nervousness is understandable, it was her first time solo. The back up band was too loud in the mix & the soundman & director were not sure who was soloing or doing fills.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

What a show! I think it's the best one in a while! Kayton Roberts blew me away on that opening number with Marty Stewart! I'd only heard him with Hank Snow and never saw him do any of that hot Speedy West type stuff. I think he stole the whole song! Then when Connie sang the camera man got a good shot of Jack's steel during his ride. I taped it and Kenny Dail and I watched it together after the gig and ol' Kenny just about rolled off the couch after Kayton's ride. We played it back a couple of times.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I seems as though whenever I read a post about the Opry it only talks about the little 30 minute T.V. portion. You cannot judge this great show on just that. To appreciate the Opry you gotta go set in your car and LISTEN, with your ears to the entire show. Get out of them recliners, put that remote down and turn on the radio, that's where the magic is.

------------------
"Play from your heart"
"Music 1st, Money 2nd"
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
Zumsteel D10/11
E9th, E13th, C6th

Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

All we get is the TV part out here, thanks to TNN. It was a great show last night. I really appreciated it when they faded out the banjo solo! Image
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Mr. Cox hits the nail on head. I remember working clubs and going out to the car on break and tuning in the Opry. It was my schoolhouse. I still listen driving in and on the way home. Sometimes, between spots, I'll go sit in the audience and watch the show. We always listen on the bus. The Opry is the greatest show on earth with all it's clams, trainwrecks and moments of glory. But it is experienced best on a car radio.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Sorry folks i was away for the night catching up with BR5-49.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

There was a time when WSM's clear channel signal would reach out and touch us.But it's a fading in fading out situation now.A half hour show really does not do justice to this great tradition. A lot of people who see it on the TV portion for the first time, make a lasting judgement. That is too bad,because the sound mix differs from week to week and they try to change guest but a half hour w/commercials on tv is just not enough.But I'll take it.

------------------
CJC

Pat Jenkins

Post by Pat Jenkins »

Did Connie Smith quit singing yet? I could listen to her all day. Probably have more of her albums at home than anyone else, except maybe Merle....love it, love it, love it.....Pat