Guitar player on "EL PASO"

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Vasquez

Guitar player on "EL PASO"

Post by Mike Vasquez »

Who did all that great acoustic guitar work on the old Marty Robbins tune "El Paso"? Is he still alive and what other records did he play on? You just don't hear nice pickin' like that very much anymore. Thanks in advance.
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

I aint sure but I think it was Grady martin He done an awful lot of the flat top stuff back in the good old days
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Bill,
You are correct. It was Grady Martin who did the great stuff on El Paso. I read an article about Marty Robbins once where he was asked that question and he confirmed it was Grady. He also did the great stuff on Devil Woman and other hits by Marty.

------------------
Have a good one! JH U-12
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Yes it was Grady Martin. Jeannie Pruett's
husbend Bill was also in the band at that time and the Glazer brothers did harmony.

I would highly recomend the Legacy reissue
of Gunfighter Ballad's and Trail songs.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Indeed it was Grady Martin. As to what he is doing today, I believe he has been playing with Willie Nelson on the road and in the studio in Austin. While I was guitar-slinging for Larry Boone some years ago, we opened for Willie & Waylon in Phoenix AZ. Grady would stand behind his amp and read a magazine while Willie was singing. When it came time for him to do what he does, he would put down the magazine and play the most marvelous guitar to ever come off of six strings. Then he would go back to reading his magazine midst the screams, hoots & hollars of thousands of music afficionados who had just got through witnessing his brilliance. Best, Boomer
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Hey Boomer-ain't seen you since Knoxville'91!I think Grady Martin has retired-the last couple of times I saw Willie he wasn't playing...see ya-Steve
Gregg Galbraith

Post by Gregg Galbraith »

Jimmy Capps told me that he ran into Grady at a Cracker Barrel restaurant sometime back, and that Grady has indeed retired, and is living at his family's "home place". I can't recall what town in Tn. he was from. I think it's within an hour or so of Nashville.

Boomer: Did you see the great old photo of Grady and Bud Isaacs hanging on the wall at the Station Inn last week? It's a classic!

Mike: Grady donimated the session scene here during the '60s and '70s. He played on most of the Loretta Lynn hits with Hal Rugg and most of the Ray Price records of that era. That's him doing the Pedal lead guitar work on "This Cold War With You.'
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Steve - Good to hear from you. Its been a while. Come on up to Knoxville this year (March 31st & April 1st) we'd love to see
you. Gregg, I missed the photo. Let me know when you're playing down there again, as I would like to #1 hear your playing and #2 see the photograph. Best, Boomer
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Grady is from Chapel hill...I believe"Jabbo"Arrington was from there,too-the guy who played the twin stuff with Grady on the real early Jimmy Dickens stuff...
Mike Vasquez

Post by Mike Vasquez »

Thanks folks. You all are the greatest source of country music history info on the internet today. Janice, that "Gunfighter Ballad's and Trail Songs" album is what turned me on to guitar when I was a kid. It was red with Marty dressed in a black gunslinger's outfit. My dad brought it home one day, put on the phonograph and it blew me away. I must've been about 7 years old.I wore the grooves off that record. I bought the CD recently. After 40 some years, that music still sounds great- even without steel.
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

I think if I'm not mistaken Mr. Jeanie pruitt was named Jack i could be wrong
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

I think if I'm not mistaken Mr. Jeanie pruitt was named Jack i could be wrong but Jack may have been a nick name also
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Bill it was Jack Pruett

------------------

Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

Steve Hinson, I always thought that Grady Martin was Benny (Best Damn fiddler I ever heard) Martin's brother and they were from Sparta Tenn. I think that Benny now lives in the area of Chapel Hill. Was I wrong? Also, was Benny befor or after Thumbs Carlisle? I know Jabo and thumbs were a team at one time with the "Tater".

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 22 February 2000 at 07:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Kenny-Benny Martin's brother was Gene Martin.He worked with Roy Acuff for a while and had some records out on his own.He worked at Sho~Bud too.I agree with you about Benny's fiddling-have you heard the record he made with John Hartford,Buddy Emmons,etc.called"Tennessee Jubilee"?(I think)It is really a great album and is now on CD.I believe...I think Grady was before Thumbs(on record),but I don't know if he travelled with LJD...sorry for the sketchy info-
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

Thanx Steve for correcting a mis-informed "Kenny". Yes, I do have the "Tennessee Jubilee" album, have had it for years. I see sunday is coming up, you know 'we always take bath on Sunday'. Image

------------------

dwight dubie

Post by dwight dubie »

Grady Martin recorded several albums on
the Decca label sometime around the late 50's
early 60's.I have one entitled "Instumentally
Yours".On the back cover their are brief descriptions of five other Grady Martin albums recorded on Decca.
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

I can't remember where I heard it but, I heard that Grady was operating the tremolo effect that you hear on the steel intro on Ray Price's "Night Life" and of course we all know who played steel. Image

------------------

Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Gregg, are you playing here in town soon? I read the post about you playing at the "Station Inn" please let me know if you are playing some where locally! You know that I would come and see you!!! Big Bob

------------------
biggbob@home.com
http://members.tripod.com/biggbobmartin