Not a steel player, but hope I'm welcome anyway!!!!

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jason Powers

Not a steel player, but hope I'm welcome anyway!!!!

Post by Jason Powers »

Hello everyone
So nice to find a place where legends are given the respect they so richly deserve. I am only 22 years old but I don't listen to anything but the real stuff. I hope I can be a valuable contributor to the discussions.
Thanks
Jason
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Jason,
There are others who post here who are not steel players. You are most welcome here. Glad to have you aboard.

Lem
Emmons SD10 3&4
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Welcome Jason.

If you hang around this bunch long enough the bug might bight you and you'll be wanting to know how many pedals and knee levers you should start with.

In the meantime, I with you on "the real stuff". Just be aware that there will be those here from time to time pretending that they don't know what that means. Just ignore 'em. Image

------------------
HagFan

PS: Tell us how you came by your interest in real country music.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Page on 24 January 2000 at 01:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

Welcome, Jason. As Ron said, the bug might bite you and you couldn't be in better company than here if it does. Image
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I guess my interest for country music goes back to probably when I was old enough to listen. My grandmother played a lot of Marty Robbins around the house. Later on she introduced me to Conway Twitty. We also used to watch Ernest Tubb on TNN every week. (What an awesome band!!!) Since I've gotten a little older I listen to a lot of Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Mel Street, Johnny Bush, I could go on forever. I have also studied country music extensively. Once again I'm happy to be part of the group. Thanks Again
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I don't know how long you've been lurking here, Jason, but it may interest you to know that Merle's steel player (Norm Hamlet), Conways's (John Hughey) Johnny Bush's (Herb Steiner and ?) Ernest's (Lynn Owsley & several others) Buck Owens (JayDee Maness, man, sorry about the spelling!) and, well, I could go on if I weren't blanking out here--anyway, all these gents are members and contributers of the Steel Guitar Forum.
Paul Stertz

Post by Paul Stertz »

Welcome, Jason. If you haven't already noticed, these are a great bunch of guys (and gals) here on the forum. Don't worry, if after hanging out here a while, you start to get this urge to buy and learn to play the steel, this is only normal. Have fun, and enjoy your stay!!

------------------
Paul Stertz
Blue laquer Mullen D10 8+5

Jerry Wright

Post by Jerry Wright »

"GOSH JASON" Did you say 22? Man I wish that I had been interested in Music back then.Welcome aboard and just jump on in and get your feet wet.The next thing you know you will be over in the SELL & TRADE section getting you one of these things.
Bob Putnam

Post by Bob Putnam »

Jason,

Honestly, what would it take to get you to make the "plunge"? It doesn't really hurt! "Buy and Sell" has some of the best deals you will ever find any where in the world! We can always use another picker!

Also, think about joining the Pedal Steel Guitar Association and also subscribing to Russ Rask's "Steel Guitar World Magazine". Between them and The Forum, and getting to a few regional Steel Shows, you will pick up so much knowledge at the speed of light it will amaze you. Think about it!

Bob Putnam
Fred Martin

Post by Fred Martin »

Welcome aboard Jason. I stumbled in here a little over a year ago. Bought a little pedal steel and a couple of lap steels. This is addicting stuff but a great group.
kevin grissom

Post by kevin grissom »

jason, welcome to the forum
you are our kind of people, wish you were running the opry instead of pete(WHAT HIS NAME).
Amanda Ward

Post by Amanda Ward »

What a pushy bunch you all are!! Image

Jason, don't worry about not playing.... I don't either... I followed my Dad in here, just to check up on him!! It's a pretty interesting place to hang out to say the least!!