Who was the artist on this song???

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Paul Stertz

Who was the artist on this song???

Post by Paul Stertz »

I heard a really nice classic country song today at work. I'm not sure of the title, but the lyrics go like this: "The key's in the mailbox, come on in.....". What is the title and artist of this song, and whoo did the beautiful steel work in it? I just gotta find out so I can see if I can buy a copy of this song. Thanx.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I believe the artist was Tony Booth.

Lee, from South Texas
BobRob

Post by BobRob »

Paul,

The song is called "Keys in the Mailbox" and
it was written by Harlan Howard. I think the popular version might be Freddie Hart and that's gotta be Buck Owens singing harmony.

The CD "Buck Owens sings Harlan Howard" has a version on it. Buck's version has Ralph Mooney all over it(He's all over the whole CD
taking most of the intros and breaks).

The only version I've ever heard on the classic country station around here is the Freddie Hart version. I could be wrong though(I wasn't around when it first came out). Maybe that version has Mooney on it too.

Later,

BobRob
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

If it was Tony Booth it was an album cut with J Dee Maness ! Actually Freddie Hart had the Major Hit! Al
MALCOLM KIRBY

Post by MALCOLM KIRBY »

Connie Smith also had a great cut on The Key's In The Mailbox.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Ray Price,with Buddy Emmons was a nice version to..If memory serves me.....<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Hook Moore on 07 January 2000 at 01:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dayna Wills

Post by Dayna Wills »

According to Billboard, Freddy Hart charted with "Keys" in 1960, stayed on the chart for 11 weeks at number 18. Tony Booth had a hit with it in 1972, stayed on the chart for 15 weeks at number 15. Interesting fact: this was the third song to chart for both men.

------------------
Charles McGough

Post by Charles McGough »

I think Hawshaw Hawkins had the first release on it.
GaryHoetker

Post by GaryHoetker »

I have the Freddie Hart version on "The Hart of Country Music" LP-Kapp Records 1966 and the Tony Booth version "The Keys in the Mailbox" LP-Capitol Records 1972. If you would like me to tape them for you I would be glad to. Send me your mailing address and a tape cassette to me at 4007 Garnsey Lane, Bakersfield, CA 93309.