Opry Tv portain Dec 4 mostly members

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Janice Brooks

Opry Tv portain Dec 4 mostly members

Post by Janice Brooks »

Jimmy C Newman hosts Skeeter Davis, Jerry Kilgore and Charlie Pride.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
www.geocities.com/nashville/3886
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

It sure is a good thing I don't waste my time watching that show. I wish my cable company would trash TNN and put somehing good in it's place. Maybe an Outer-Mongolian PBS channel. TNN is a waste of perfectly good airwave space.

------------------
Carter D10 8p/10k
www.sinkler.com

Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

Dick you hit the nail right on the head... How much more can anyone stand of Skeeter Davis? Turn out the lights the party's over
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

I'll take Charlie Pride over LeeRoy any day of the week !
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

This should be pure country music for you guys.
Theresa
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

We complain if its not country and we complain if it is...I for one would like a stronger lineup but who? I am not a Skeeter fan but she is a Member and a supporting one even if she has stayed longer than her talent has. Name the ten strongest members that can save this show,better yet name one...The Grand old Opry continues to survive with depleted talent but strong tourist support...All those so prouds to be there so-called Super Stars make token appearances to establish a country tie-in. It won't be long before the Opry will pay guest more to attract the younger audience and newer artist not to mention more money...The newer management team does not understand the tradition and can see the depleting ranks not being replaced by strong new comers...How long can the Opry survive not being able too replace the tradition...We all know the talent of some of the members would make it hard for them to get tips at Tootsies, A lot of folks go to the Opry because of its history and we all know what History is....

------------------
cjc

<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-04-99]</FONT></P>
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Well, I can understand the complaint. It’s not really inconsistent.Yeah, we like traditional country music, and if it’s from this decade that’s all the better. Hey, I love a good old Hag tune but he’s got some new songs that are fine too. Likewise, some of the newer artists with a traditional bent.

They need an image makeover, but one that stops short of the pop-country image.

Just my opinion...

------------------
HagFan
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Someone in another newsgroup heard rumors of another big opry annocment coming Monday. it's not supposed to sit well with the older members.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

I saw nothing to rave about.

------------------
"BUS" ICQ 44729047
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

All three steel players sounded good! Who needs the rest? How about Weldon/Hank Thompson after opry? It just dont get any better than that! Al
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

After the Opry live show came the reunion at the ryman and weldon at his best .Hank Thompson my main man and the one who can take the blame for me getting into this business was great with "Wild Side of Life" as was Janie frickie,Gene watson. Don't miss this repeat.GOOOOOODD

------------------
cjc

Mike Dennis

Post by Mike Dennis »

There is a repeat performance of Ray Price and then Hank Thompson on Austin City Limits Sat. Dec. 11. Do not miss this show.

Check your listings... unfortunately PBS here in Wisconsin has a fund drive going and the show is not scheduled here.

Special guest for a performance will be Junior Brown for one song each with Ray and Hank.

The Hank Thompson segment is beautifully taped... the music is fantastic and the steel player Rivera shines.

Ditto for the Ray segment... tape this show if you can.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Who was the steel picker during the Christmas song that Skeeter did? Very Very taste-ee C6
fills and a great solo! The guitar solo was very taste-ee too!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have the show taped but haven't had a chance to look at it.

Some of the "older" singers have been around for a while but most still do 'hardcore country'. I quit being a Skeeter Davis fan back when she went "hippie", but as long as she does her signature song she can usually make that.

The show, as it is now, is fine with me. I don't know what the future holds, tho. It seems the new manager comes from the same school as the current pop/rock record producers so it wouldn't surprise me that eventually there is a complete makeover of the opry to a more pop/rock "country" content and tradition will be gone. Management is "fixing" something that isn't broken.

Before someone flames me, I'm not condemming other forms of music. Just if you have a long running - and successful - traditional country music venue, why change it?

If someone (Gaylord Management..) wants a pop/rock type country music show, start a second show for that venue. Don't .... with the Opry.
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

Pete, if my memory is correct, it was Tommy White doing the hot C6th solo. He was really stretching out, wasn't he?

Charlie Pride's last note of Mountain Of Love was really embarassing. Ouch!

It was great hearing (and seeing) Weldon Myrick in the Opry Reunion show. Also, I really enjoyed "Statue Of A Fool" by Ricky Van Shelton. It was neat to see a song like that done, and not have the camera on the lead singer the whole time. Having all of those great singers act as a background chorus really made a powerful effect.

------------------
Bobby Lee Image www.b0b.com/products
Sierra Session S-12 E9th, Speedy West D-10, Sierra S-8 Lap
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Jack I can't agree more with on the Idea that there can be two forms of Venue in country music. Without killing the traditional form. Now is the time for the Grand old Opry to return to the Ryman. let them have the Opryland complex for the what they consider the modern version of country Music. How many familys will travel from all over? We do know they will travel to the Opry year after year and a lot of return visits. O well at least I have my Tickets(Season)to the BUCS-Minnesota game tomorrow night. Look on ABC and I will wave to you all from the left of the Bucs bench 21 rows up.(Between Beers)<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-05-99]</FONT></P>
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Did you say Skeeter Davis went hippie? I must have blinked and missed that. What did she do?
Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

Joe; Enjoy the game! Go Vikings! Al
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Hey Sleepy,let me take a wild guess at who the higher up is that is calling the shots.How about the name Bob Whittaker? If thats who it is, he's a real a$$hole.He used to be head of live entertainment at Opryland before he took Hal Durham's place as Opry manager.Besides being musically illiterate he is an idiot to boot.<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 12-05-99]</FONT></P>
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Gee's Earl stop holding back let it out...I heard that from another source on Whitaker.Now I can't wait to hear what the meeting Bull$hip is about tomorrow..You don't mean we have to apologize to Bill Linerman and give him his Bass back?
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Joe,Billy's bass is still floating somewhere in the Cumberland River so I guess the apologies will have to wait.
By the way,did you read Martells editorial? He says the guitar player that worked with Tommy White on Prime Time Country has been hired for the Opry staff band. Hummmmm!
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Here it is 7:16 Am monday and The day before the Japaneese pulled off the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. Will Dec.6th be the anniversary of the bombing of the Opry? Will they be retirering Older members? Will they be moving the Opry downtown? Has new owners bought the Opry? Will Members with strenght stand up and tell them to shove it.Whenever I hired new players in my group, there was always one or two who wanted to take control and bring in some freinds they wanted to play with . Is this happening?I always shut that down fast.Cliques ruin bands and soon they have the control. Is the Opry in need of repair of attitude? Only with the members who rarely make an appearance... Without a doubt there is need for repair actually bring in some more standard bearers.Where is weylon,George,Hag,Charlie Daniels Bobby G.Rice,Tommy Overstreet,Gene Watson.Mel mmm Tillis.Charge more,pay more..Audition new talent there must be a "Stonewall Jackson"out there somewhere with his heart into country music and the talent..The Members should always be recognized for their contributions.And as long as they can,and want to get up on the stage they deserve to be on it. They kept it going by honoring their membership and the love of a lifetimes work. They are a hallowed group...There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Staff band that it had to be altered...If"Hungry"musicians and I don't mean starving ones, replace the veterans it will continue because hungry musicians are never satified,never loyal only to themselves and It becomes more than a "Job".. I remember the atmosphere of backstage how it was great to mingle,meet,listen,learn. Now it seems eveyone needs rear view mirrors on their shoulders and steel shorts to prevent unwanted entry.(not the Smiley kind.) Will today be a Pearl harbor?we have to be thankful for the part in our life the Opry has meant to us. "God bless the Opry as it certainly has been a blessing to us".remember Image
------------------
cjc

<p ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 12-06-99]</FONT></P>