New Johnson squareneck tricones

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Russ Young

New Johnson squareneck tricones

Post by Russ Young »

I just read an announcement that Johnson is now offering squareneck tricones. Like the new National Reso-phonics, they have a wooden, rather than metal, neck.

I've never heard anyone claim that Johnson tricones hold a candle to new or vintage Nationals. (Elderly Instruments describes them this way: "These are decent tricones, but the overall workmanship, fit & finish are far from superlative; simply stated, these are OK, workhorse guitars.") However, the price should appeal to a lot of people who might otherwise find a tricone unattainable.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 28 May 2003 at 04:20 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

This is excellent news. I've wanted a tricone for a while, but could not afford one. This definitely brings the price into my range.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

I have a Johnson single cone resonater and have gotten a couple of uke's from Johnson. For the money invested, I'm very happy.
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

Just talked on the phone to a guy at Mandalay Music. They seem to sell alot of Johnsons. He said these new squarenecks will not be available for about a month. He quoted a pretty good price, so I told him to phone me when they start coming in. He said he has received alot of enquiries. Also that the bodies are brass (he said the Regal tri-cone is chromed steel?). I wonder about the string spaceing. Hope it's not too narrow?
Haere mai,
Steve H.
S8A6<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Honum on 28 May 2003 at 02:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Elderly has one available on their web site ... $600.00.

(And I believe the Regals have a brass body as well.)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 28 May 2003 at 05:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

For some reason I had thought the Regals and Johnsons were from the same company (maybe some models). I also thought the metal body Johnsons were built in the Czech Republic, but the guy at Mandalay Music said they were from China? I looked at the Regal at Elderly's website, I think it's a round-neck. Anyone know about the string spacing on the new Johnson square-neck? Maybe Regal will be offering a square-neck tri-cone soon too?? I've kinda wanted a tri-cone for quite a while but can't afford a National, though I've been tempted by the new ones. You can order the National Tri-Cones with a square-neck from the factory.
Haere mai,
Steve H.
S8A6
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

I heard something awhile ago that Johnson was going to be making the cones here in the states, maybe Cal? I think the chinese make great low end instruments, better than any where else in that part of the world. My resonator is bell brass, sounds great for delta blues.
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I've seen references to Johnsons being manufactured in Czechoslovakia, Korea and Japan. The way manufacturing works today, they're probably all correct -- so California-made cones don't seem out of the question.

Interestingly enough, Jesse, there seem to be a lot of people who swear that Korean-built instruments are much better than those from China.
Jesse Harris

Post by Jesse Harris »

nice johnson
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

Hello all,

I just took the plunge and ordered one from Elderly, who claims they're in stock. Will report on quality, tone, etc. when it arrives.

If tone is lacking, I plan to try new cones, nut, and bridge inserts from Paul Beard (i believe he sells tricone sets). Still a big savings over a National, and why pass up an opportunity for tinkering?

Cheers,
- Handy Andy

Post by Guest »

If you think instruments made in china are only for the low end, think again. I just got a Blueridge BR-180. You can see pictures at the Elderly website:
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BR180.htm

well, to make a long story short, this instrument is EXTREMELY high quality. The workmanship is excellent and the sound is right up there with the best, and I mean THE BEST. By the way, guitars isn't the only thing the chinese make well, my wife was made in china, and they don't come any better than her.
David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

not bad, I've got a johnson reso-lectric, biscuit bridge type resonator. I like it alot for the $$$. It has a built in pickup and sounds decent plugged in.
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

Hey Andrew, glad to hear a forumite took the plunge on the new Johnson tri-cone square neck. For the money, this looks like a great deal. You'll be able to bang it around a little without fretting (no pun intended). The design of the neck seems pretty cool with the slotted headstock and vintage shape. I'm sure a cone upgrade (if neccessary) would help the tone. I'll be interested to hear a report after you receive it, especially on the string spacing at the nut (hoping it's 3/8"). Best of luck with your new axe.
Haere mai,
Steve H.
S8A6
John Reali

Post by John Reali »

I am anxious to hear the report on the Johnson square neck tricone, as after some research, I have found that Beltona does indeed make a hollow metal square neck tricone. The price I was quoted was $3750 US dollars, with a 4 month back order time. Suddenly, the $600 Johnson is starting to sound like a pretty good deal.
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Wow -- I had no idea that a Beltona would be that expensive! For $3750, why not buy a really nice vintage tricone, a Johnson, and a heck of a lot of steels, picks, strings ...
Andrew Waegel

Post by Andrew Waegel »

Well my new shiny Johnson arrived today, and though I haven't yet played it too much, I'm very happy with it.

The fit and finish are better than I was led to believe on the Elderly website, the tone is balanced and full, the string spacing seems wider than my reso, which I think is good, and it just feels playable.

Only thing I could say, the nut is a bit too low for my taste. I keep whacking the neck with my bar, especially after watching that Bob Brozman Hawaiian guitar video where he's flinging his hands all over the place.

The label inside says "Hand Made by AXL Factory in Shanghai China", with a handwritten serial number (000490), for what that's worth.
Jesse Pearson

Post by Jesse Pearson »

My Johnson reso made out of bell brass was made in Shanghai China as well, great craftsman.
Geoff Cole

Post by Geoff Cole »

I have been thinking of getting a new Johnson Nashville slide reso. can any one help with any knowledge on these guitars.
Thanks Geoff.
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Johnson=brass, Regal=steel? Is that right?
Ed Miller Jr

Post by Ed Miller Jr »

I sell Johnson instruments in my store. For the money,they are hard to beat. First thing to do is get a bone nut put on it. Out of the box they have a molded plastic nut that is completely hollow on the inside. It is also very close to the fret board. I'm pretty sure they put a med.gauge set of guitar Strings on it. Then I changethe nut to a higher one made out of Corrian(Not as good as bone but it beats the tar out of plastic! and put a set of D'Addadario Phos. bronze Dobro strngs on it and they sound better. I can do Ebony cap saddles and bone nut but I charge for that one.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Regals are chromed brass also.
Erv
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<SMALL>there seem to be a lot of people who swear that Korean-built instruments are much better than those from China.</SMALL>
Yes, mostly the Korean people... Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by HowardR on 22 June 2003 at 07:59 AM.]</p></FONT>