MSA U-12 8/4

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Matt Harelik

MSA U-12 8/4

Post by Matt Harelik »

Beautiful sunburst guitar in great condition. Original case and rod bag. Mostly Jeff Newman setup. $1000.00. Email: matt@mattharelik.com (forgot the pic...look again in a bit)<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Matt Harelik on 06 November 2006 at 10:07 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Matt Harelik on 06 November 2006 at 10:38 AM.]</p></FONT>
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Matt,
Contact me, I may want the guitar.

Thanks
Colby<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Colby Tipton on 06 November 2006 at 08:52 PM.]</p></FONT>
Matt Harelik

Post by Matt Harelik »

Here's some additional info: The serial number is: 1C6990, and it's "The Universal" model. I don't know the year model, or it's history. I bought it used at HOT Music in Temple about 20 years ago. Still charging my camera batteries...I'll try to get a pic up in the morning. I've gotten so many emails about it, I'm starting to wonder if I shot myself in the foot by offering it for $1000....but I did, so that's the way it goes. Thanks for all your interest.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

If not already gone- I'll take it
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Matt-you are right there. A MSA Universal wood lacquer S12 at your price won't last long around here. Maybe you ought to just keep it. If you had it for 20 years, you surely must have liked it...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Matt Harelik

Post by Matt Harelik »

I love this guitar, in fact I've sold it and bought it back once before. Truth is, in all that time I never really learned how to play it. Now I'm making my living on bass, and desperately need to update my rig. Heard from Reece, his best guess on a production date is early 1982. Pics coming as soon as the baby goes down for his nap.
Matt Harelik

Post by Matt Harelik »

OK guys, pictures are coming to you. (I'll post them here if someone will tell me how.) According to Reece (purely a guess because he hasn't seen it) I probably did undershoot the value of this guitar by quite a bit. Does it seem fair to entertain any higher offers? Thanks, Matt
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Matt,

Only my opinion, but if the guitar is still yours and you haven't promised it to anybody at that price, I'd make whatever darn changes I wanted to the price. I had a burgundy one just like the one you have, and sold it no problem for quite a bit more than your asking price. I think it's only fair that interested parties agree to this. A lot of guys here know that $1,000 for that steel is a very low asking price, especially for the sunburst model which seems to be the most popular of the MSA lacquer Universals.
Matt Harelik

Post by Matt Harelik »

After careful consideration and having heard back from most of you, I've decided to open this up for bids. I sincerely apologize if I've offended or inconvenienced anyone with all this confusion...certainly NOT my intention. I should've done more investigating beforehand, but I didn't. Since I make my living solely with my music, and this being one of my more expensive investments, I can't really afford to take a beating on it....even by my own hand. Thanks, Matt Harelik
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Entertain Any Higher Offers.
Not me.
You offered it at a price then got some e-mails from people that can't keep their nose out of something they have no intetion of buying anyway. It's just like the guitar another forum member was trying to sell the other day and people run their mouth and screw up the whole deal, at least b0b made that O.K. and I think he should cut this deal off now before all of the s-$@# slingin' gets started. If you would have done it the real way you would have the money in your pocket now. Thats my 2cents, you can sell it and whoever buys it deserves it at whatever price.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Maybe everything listed on the buy/sell section should have a price and "OBO" added.

"Or Best Offer"--either higher or lower!
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

Yes Bill.
Matt Harelik

Post by Matt Harelik »

Lesson Learned....Moderator: Please remove this item.
Colby Tipton

Post by Colby Tipton »

No, dont do that man. You can do with it what you want. No hard feelings from me. I just think if some people are not trying to purchase an instrument, thay should be silent.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Colby Tipton on 07 November 2006 at 03:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Matt, you should reframe the sale conditions as best offer and hang in there. Guys lighten up. Matt is not really a steeler, and is clearly a little out of the loop in terms of the value of his steel. He has a gem. The Forum is not set up as a rigorous auction with clear rules. It is not uncommon for people to come on here for price advice before offering something for sale. Let's just consider that is what Matt has done. It would actually be a little cruel for those who know the real value of his instrument to just sit back and let him get taken.

Maybe there should be some minimal rules for how sales are conducted. As it is, these are not auctions. Generally, the first one to make a definite commitment at the offered price gets the deal. In this case, that appears to be Jim Palenscar, although someone could have sent an email sooner. But the seller is really free to sell it to anyone he wants, not necessarily the first offer. I have seen confusion and tempers rise on here before when a seller sold to a friend, rather than the first offer. But that is his perogative. Also, it makes sense to sell to someone local to avoid shipping, even if they are not the first offer. Basically a seller comes on here, takes all the offers, and sells to who he wants to.

Maybe to avoid this kind of confusion we should have a discussion over in the Forum Feedback section. And maybe b0b should make a considered judgement and come up with some common sense simple rules.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

No big deal- I under-price stuff all the time at the shop by accident- ie. - renting steels @ $25/month (won't be happening again Image ) and then live by my committment. That being said- it is my business and I should know better. Matt realized that he had priced his guitar a bit low- it was a real good deal- but not a fantastic deal- especially for me who would probably resell it (hopefully for a profit) in time (I don't advertise) and I totally understand his wanting to up the price a bit. It is not his business and an honest mistake on his part- go for it Matt!
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I assumed Matt was seeking advice from the general membership about the fairness of re-pricing. That's why I added my 2 cents.

If Matt knew the worth of the steel but needed a quick dollar, then fine. But we're not here to watch fellow members unknowingly undersell something by a margin, such as this deal. Once it was clear he didn't know, then it should have been fine for him to re-price the steel if no deal had been reached anywhere. I think we're ultimately here to support one another. The fine responses of David and Jim attest to that.

Anybody who feels their potential "steal" was flubbed by members advising Matt about his under-pricing should take a second look at the role of the forum membership. It's a brotherhood of support and shared knowledge, not a place to pull the wool over another player's eyes.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Chris LeDrew on 07 November 2006 at 06:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I emailed a forum guy and helped prevent him from selling a Ric Silver Hawaiian in excellent condition for $500 (if I recall correctly). I sure won't hesitate to do it again.
Donald Dunlavey

Post by Donald Dunlavey »

I like what LeDrew and Doggett said, sound reasonable fair minded guys to me.

------------------