tuners for dbl 8 stringmaster

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Patti Maxine

tuners for dbl 8 stringmaster

Post by Patti Maxine »

Help appreciated,

Howdy out there in steel land. I recently put new strings on my strinmaster and when
tuning up discovered the 5th string tuner is slipping. Is there a way to get inside of that one tuner?

Thanks,
Patti Maxine
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

It totaly depends on the tuner used. In general no. A few sort of. I suspect a replacement is in order. This based on a general knowlege of the tuners I have encountered.
But some more expert with stingmaster specifics might have more specific advice for you. Good luck.
Patti Maxine

Post by Patti Maxine »

David,
Thanks for your input. It looks like "Delux"
on the side of the tuner cover. Does anyone know if there are sources to replace the unit? Am I just dreaming?

Patti

------------------
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I would pull the tuner pan out of the guitar. I have my Stringmaster all apart at present and if you pull the pan out, you might be able to locate the problem. There is a small screw that holds the gear in place and maybe you can get by by just tightening that up.
Erv
John Borchard

Post by John Borchard »

Patti, if they say "deluxe" on the back, those would be Klusons, which Fender used on just about everything. There are any number of Kluson reissues available if you can't find any old ones. Check Allparts, Stew-Mac, Elderly Instruments, etc. Just make sure that the post (the part that the string actually passes through) is the correct length). I'm not sure if the Klusons that Fender used on the Stringmaster have the same length post as those used on their regular guitars. Hope this helps. Perhaps some more knowledgeable forumites will chime in. Good luck.

John Borchard
Patti Maxine

Post by Patti Maxine »

Thanks to Erv and John,

John or anyone - yes they are Kluson Deluxe.
Do you know though if the covers on each one (with the tiny hole) are removeable individually?
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Patti
Your stringmaster has what is called "drop in tuning heads" each side is individual and
there are 2 sides.The bass string side and the treble side. These back years ago were sold seperatly bass or treble.

These are easier to repair than the early button type tuners as used on the Dual pro & Custom guitars.

I do believe that having someone remove the cover may solve the problem,there may be a "tooth" on the gear that is stripped. I have seen this problem before and it can be remedied without too much trouble or expense.

They are "Kluson" patent keys and someone who is familiar with Kluson can handle this.

I had a similar problem and sent my strip of 4 keys from the bass side to Kluson and they
repaired my problem.

Its not impossible and you will have to ask around and I will do that for you as well.

There is or will be a Forum member offering the 8 keys and the pan (which you dont need) on e bay,,in fact it may be on there already.

I'll try to find the link and post it. These
are not made of gold,but with the unavailability many seller's think they are gold. I'll check around for you. Dont sweat it,It can be repaired. Blackie Taylor in Anaheim can probably help you if all else fails,I think it would be wise to contact him first.

Blackie Taylor (909)686-4010 call after noon your time.

Thank you. edited for spelling.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 27 May 2003 at 03:43 PM.]</p></FONT>
Patti Maxine

Post by Patti Maxine »

Jodi,
Thanks so much. Yes it is the bass side and it looks as though the "covers" have tabs of sorts that have been possibly machine pressed to protect the mechanism? I will call Blackie before I go messing around there! Also, yes I had already found the ones on EBay, and I'll do my best to get them!

Many Thanks Jodi
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Patti Maxine.
Those "caps" covers can be removed..Call Blackie.

Thank you..

Jody edited for spelling<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 27 May 2003 at 07:53 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Hi Patti, I haven't been south of San Jose in a year and you guys don't seem to get up north, but I'll Saddle Up N Boogie sometime. If your still having problems send me an email. I can help you out if you don't win the set on eBay.
Making a change from the Dual Pro?