Hal Rugg's old Shobud, value?

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Bobby D. Reed

Hal Rugg's old Shobud, value?

Post by Bobby D. Reed »

I have the D10 Shobud built by Hal and Duane Marrs in the Shobud factory in the winter of 1971-72. It is the only D10 Shobud ever built with mica finish. It is also the first Shobud built with metal necks. Hal told me that a guy in Kentucky made the necks.
Hal said he wanted to be loyal to Shot Jackson and play a Shobud on some of the shows he was doing such as the Wilburn Brothers, but he wanted a Emmons type sound so they built one with berle (maple) looking mica so it would appear like a wood lacquer guitar on TV and sound like an Emmons.
Shot hated the mica concept and refused to allow any more to be made although I'm told he could have sold lots of them.
It is in great shape for it's age and still plays and sounds great. It is now 8&4 where it once had more knees. I am willing to sell this guitar but I hate to think of it going out of the country. And I don't know exactly what it's worth. Anyone have an idea? I have pictures if I can get Mary Lou to post them for me. This is the ultimate collector Shobud. Some of my information sources were Hal Rugg himself, Duane Marrs, Bobbe Seymour, Lynn Owsley and many others around Nashville who remember this guitar......Bobby 615 824 4187

Image Image Image Image Image Image <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bobby D. Reed on 02 May 2006 at 11:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby D. Reed

Post by Bobby D. Reed »

A little late, but here are 5 pictures of the Shobud. Some of you older guys out there might recognize this guitar, thanks so much for looking, any feedback welcome.
Bobby
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Was this the birth of the Pro III?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Priceless with him playing it, IMO.
Lefty
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

NICE!!
Bobby,
This guitar should be in the $4K-$5k range,
There's definitly a collector value as well as a unique great playing and sounding Sho~Bud!!
Bob
Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

Im with Bob on this. If it was mine, I wouldnt let it go for anything less then 4k
Bobby D. Reed

Post by Bobby D. Reed »

Thanks for the reply everyone. As for the guitar being the forerunner of the Pro III, I guess so as Hal said it was the very first with metal necks. Most everyone has valued this guitar in about the same range. I've has estimates from $2000 to $7500. I guess I would take $4500ish and/or a partial trade. This is not just a rare guitar it is one you can gig with right now.....Bobby
Peter Ivansson

Post by Peter Ivansson »

i have Hal old Emmons lashly le grand 111 and realy love the guitar
Jon Zimmerman

Post by Jon Zimmerman »

Not the usual Bud on the block. Would it be a 'fatback' or is it sculpted out for the knees? Curiously fascinating, for sure. Image
Bobby D. Reed

Post by Bobby D. Reed »

I would surely be proud of that Emmons III of Hal's. As for it being a fatback, I guess that's what you'd call it. It has a metal body brace across the back that is bent 90 degrees. It is screwed into the wood (the bottom) of the guitar with the rest of the angle iron forming the rear apron. Maybe that's where it gets the Emmons like sound???
Thanks again guys for your reply....Bobby
Don Lampley

Post by Don Lampley »

I just wanted to say I've seen and heard this guitar it sounds and looks great also I was with Bobby in StLouis when Hal said it was his old guitar Hal told us the story about the steel and why it was built. A real collector for the right person.
Rick Kornacker

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Just some additional input on the subject. Although Hal's "Bud" is certainly unique in appearance. I'm not so sure it is "the only mica D-10 Sho-Bud ever made". I distinctly remember seeing one other at the store on Broadway, not too long before it closed. It was a D-10 with a black "chalkboard" mica finish and aluminum trim and basically a "Super-Pro" vibe about it. Actually looked like a precursor to the first Franklin guitars made. Seemed as though it had metal necks. I inquired about it and was told that it was "an experiment". IMHO. not a pretty guitar at all. It also had a plastic "Sho-Bud" plaque on the front, the type they used on a Maverick, which really added the only touch of class.I'm sure that either Duane or Paul Sr. might be able to enlighten us and perhaps they will. Humbly submitted for the sake of interest and conversation. Thanks, RK

------------------