Tuning a Superior to E - what gauge?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steinar Gregertsen

Tuning a Superior to E - what gauge?

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

I'm sure you guys are tired of posts regarding string gauges, but I can't find the answer to this when I search.

My 'Superior' Weissenborn sounds much better in low-bass G than in D tuning, problem is I prefer to play in the D-type tunings.

Is it risky to tune it to E with a set of regual phosphor bronze strings (.013 - .056)?
Seems like the guitar favours the higher tension of the G tuning, so I want to give the E tuning a try. I've also noticed several other players tuning their Weissenborns to E.

Thanks, Steinar.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That should not affect the guitar one way or the other. I use that same set of string gauges both for open D and open E. It's a bit floppy for open D but just right for open E.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Steinar Gregertsen

Thanks.
They just seem so delicate these guitars that I was afraid the top might start acting funny.
Terry Goodman

Post by Terry Goodman »

Steinar,

How do you like your Superior?

Terry
Steinar Gregertsen

Been in love with it since the day I got it.
But then - this is the only 'Weissenborn' guitar I've ever played so I really don't have much to compare it to......

After a while the wide string spacing started to bother me, found it hard to get decent balance and response with a soundhole pickup, so I ended up having a new nut and bridge made for it.
The spacing at the bridge measured 70mm on the Superior while most original Weissenborns are supposed to be 62mm. My regular acoustic (Seagull) measures 55mm.

But I love the sound (mine has a spruce top) and find it very responsive and dynamic.
I have ordered one of Neil Russell's guitars as well, will get it sometimes this autumn.

(These guitars are addictive and dangerous to your banc account....)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 20 April 2003 at 06:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Goodman

Post by Terry Goodman »

Steinar,

I am also considering one of Neil Russell's weissenborn copies. Did you order the mahogony or koa?

Terry

Steinar Gregertsen

Hi Terry,
I ordered one of his 'basic' mahogany models, he himself claims that koa is 'overrated' and that mahogany sounds just as good if not better.

He 'snailmailed' me photos of various guitars he's made and those basic mahogany models looks good enough for me, they're very pretty.

You better act fast if you want one of his this year, he told me yesterday that guitars ordered today will not be delivered until late December.
Seems like his business is 'taking off'.