Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Jeff,

We enthusiastically await hearing of your reaction to the DVD. Hang on to your socks!
Warren Slavin

Post by Warren Slavin »

Hi Jeff,

I did receive "David's" steel recording from Maple records. I received it on Microsoft Media, although I had RealOne available also.

David Keli'i has been an idol for many steel guitar players from the 30's to the 70's. Unfortunately, he recorded very little. The Hawaii Calls shows were his most famous recordings. I was very fortunate to be in the Bayan Court in the 40's when he was playing with Al Kealoha Perry. We enjoy your historical downloads.

Warren
Page Wood

Post by Page Wood »

Playing a theremin is not all that comfortable- you can't move around freely since that affects the sound field and will throw off your scale- no foot tapping , you can't "rock out"- and your arms get tired from constantly holding them up.You have to really pay attention to your pitch since aural feedback is your ONLY reference point. The "Holy Grails" among good theremin players are: perfect intonation, clean staccato, and minimal vibrato. Why? Because it's impossible!! Clara used a system of specific hand shapes to form her intervals, almost like "signing" for the deaf- great to watch.
I'm always looking for that style of steel playing- with high sustained harmonics, if you have any more like that one, keep 'em comin' !!