Bruce Springsteen's steel player?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Russ Young

Bruce Springsteen's steel player?

Post by Russ Young »

Did my eyes deceive me, or did the E Street Band have a Melobar player during the Grammies broadcast? Was that Nils Lofgren?

(You know you're getting old when you have to tell your kids that "Little Steven" Van Zandt played with the Boss before he became a Sopranos cast member ...)<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 26 February 2003 at 09:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

I won't bet on it (didn't see the show), but my guess would be Lofgren. I've seen him play lap steel before, with Neil Young among others.

------------------
"I don't play fast. I'm from Norway."
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Nils played a PSG on Bruce's HBO special about two years ago. The song was, "Mansion on the Hill", not the Hank Williams song of the same name. I believe there's photos at the Cater website.
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

That was Nils actually rotating his guitar. He had an arm sticking out from the neck that held a slide tube. He would flip the guitar up for slide and then flip it back down to play the guitar straight.
Fred Brown

Post by Fred Brown »

I thought the same exact thing. But as I watched I noticed that it was the Str@t (I think) player and he just rotated his guitar to play slide. He even kept the slide on on one of the tuning pegs when he wasn't using it. It's rare you see slide player play like that. I wondered about his tuning.
Fred