Why No Single Cone Nationals?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Warnik

Why No Single Cone Nationals?

Post by Paul Warnik »

I am throwing it out for an answer-I have sold at least a half dozen pre-war vintage National Tricone Hawaiian models to Forum members since I logged on-Four of them being sold in the last few months-Everyone is happy and loves them-Yet nobody has bought any of the various single cone guitars (Style O,Triolian,and Duolian) that I have offered-Primo condition instruments-the last of the kind from my fading collection-at very reasonable close to wholesale prices-no takers-I always thought that the single cone guitars had that "gutbucket" kind of punch that was really unbeatable for acoustic blues sliding-and that would give great appeal-but evidently not among the buying consensus of Forum players Image
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Paul,

My only guess would be that this audience is primary composed of people who play with the instrument horizontal, using a steel.

The single-cone gutbucket sound is favored more by "slide" players who hold the guitar in a vertical plane and use a metal or class cylinder placed over one of their fingers. In my experience, steel players favor Tricone square neck Nationals and slide players favor single cone (round neck)Nationals.

Maybe there is a more "slide" oriented Web site where you can post those single-cone Nats. They are great instruments and some are very loud.

Good luck,

Bob
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Paul,
I have a 1931 National Duolian (gray-green crinkle finish). It's great for bottleneck blues, not so good for Hawaiian. The decay of the note is very quick almost banjo-esque. My Tricone has a much longer decay and more sustain, hence the Hawaiian connection.

You can argue that the great Hawaiian steeler King Bennie Nawahi played a single cone National, but that's a whole different discussion.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I would buy one of yours if I could afford it, Paul. I played a squareneck Duolian last year that was a fine, loud guitar.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I think that everyone has summed up the answer pretty well. For steel guitar players, sustain and overtones are king. The single cone guitars have a unique sound but one with a characteristicly fast decay with the emphasis on the fundamental as opposed to the overtone cornucopia of the Tricones.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 03 February 2003 at 03:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Thank you all for the respectable kind of response that I was hoping for
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Yep, it's the squarenecks that are holding them up. If I had the $$s I'd buy 'em anyway but most National single cone players are bottleneckers.
Dennis Olearchik

Post by Dennis Olearchik »

Paul,
Any pics you can show us?
Regards,
Dennis
mikey

Post by mikey »

tricones sound better....single's are a great bottleneck blues tone..but that's about it IMHO
Mike
Dana Duplan

Post by Dana Duplan »

I borrowed my friends Triolian for a while. I was sitting on the front porch pickin' and my wife came out and asked me to "turn it down!" I said "Honey, it's an acoustic guitar!" That thing would rattle your fillings! It was definately a loud and "in your face" guitar, but I prefer the sweeter Tricone sound. Now if money were no object, I'd have both--these guitars are no slouches! While they may not have the sustain of a Tricone, I never felt the guitar was lacking in that area.
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Paul,
IMHO. Speaking only for myself. I have a fantastic OMI Dobro, and a Benoit8. Adding the Tricone was right for me. IT was something that I have always been looking for. Now I know why. The sound. Always the sound.

Now for the speculation. Dobros and single resonator guitars are everywhere. The Tricones are rare by comparison.

Ron
I like it, I love it, I want some more of it!
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Yeah man .. I'm with you Ron ...

The BIGGIE for me is the interplay between the 3 cones ... you can HEARFEEL (a new word Image ) ... the 3 "sets" of sound waves comin' off the cones .... interacting with each other Image ... as they bounce their way out of that German Silver body ...

I bet the "Wave Mechanics" (calculus) describing this could challenge even Will Hunting (Matt Damon in the film GOOD WILL HUNTING) ... Image

------------------
My Steel Shoes Site

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 04 February 2003 at 08:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

I myself do prefer the Tri-cone models too-however single cone guitars have merit also and when one (like the Duolian) can be had for half the low end price of a Tri-cone-well it should sell from my thinking-The sheet steel bodies of the Triolian and Duolinan perhaps do not have the preferred tone for Hawaiian playing but what about the style O?-The plated brass body makes for a mellower somewhat reverbish tone that I think is just fine for most playing IMHO
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I'll swim against the tide here, Paul. I would love to have one of those guitars, particularly the Triolian, in my c---------. (What? Do you think I would use the "C" word in my post -- Don McLellan and Mike Perlowin might be watching! Image)

Once I figure out if I'll have any money once the IRS is finished with me, I'll be in touch ... <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 04 February 2003 at 12:35 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Russ Young on 04 February 2003 at 12:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Russ-10-4 on that there "C" word Image
Dennis Olearchik

Post by Dennis Olearchik »

Check out:
http://www.mandoweb.com/4_dobronatweis.htm

a '27 Tricone (WAS $21,651 BUT NOW ON SALE for $19,587 or at our cash discount price $18,998)...
Mikel Nelson

Post by Mikel Nelson »

Try posting on this forum...
http://www.guitarseminars.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=The+Guitar+Forum&number=1

It is made up of mostly bottleneck and country blues players. They're always interested in a good National.