Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Niklas Widen

Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by Niklas Widen »

I've been working my way through Mel Bay's Deluxe Pedal Steel Guitar Method by DeWitt Scott, and now I want to get a book with some fine arrangements of steel solos. I'm thinking about buing Anthology of Psg, but it seems like a lot of the tunes and techniques in the Anthology are similar to the ones in Deluxe psg Method. Has anyone here used these books? Are the arrangements of the tunes in Anthology the same as in Deluxe psg method, or is it worth buying the Anthology as well? Or is there another great collection of steel solos that I should check out?
Mike Winfield

Post by Mike Winfield »

Niklas,
You should try some of Jeff Newman's materials. If you want to learn some standard steel songs, the "Just Jammin" cd and tab is great. You can find this at Jeff's web site, jeffran.com
Good luck
Mike Winfield
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Niklas,

I also worked my way through DeWitt Scotts Delux Pedal Steel Guitar book and I did NOT buy the Analogy book, because it was a repeat of the Delux book. I DID buy DeWitt Scotts Back-Up Pedal Steel Guitar book. It comes witha CD and provides many intros, fills, and endings, plus it instructs how to use them in a song that you can play along with (CD).

Jeff Newman has a number of good courses also!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Niklas, try some Buddy Emmons tab courses
for E9 + C6 (from Ernie Renn on the Links sektion)
from what i keep readin here, Jeff Neumanns courses seem to be quite appropriate.
Steel havin' a good 1 Image
Anders Lindby

Post by Anders Lindby »

Hello Niklas,
(had been much easier to reply in swedish.)

When i started on the e9 a couple of years ago i first used Janne Lindgren's courses on tape for e9,then got the "Pedal steel guitar method" by Dewitt scott.
A couple of months later i ordered the book "Pedal steel guitar a manual of style" from Janne Lindgren,it's a guide to the styles of four major steel players (Terry Bethel,Jimmie Crawford,John Hughey and Weldon Myrick.) there is not so many steel solos and songs in the book perhaps but i found it to be interesting & useful.
Right now i'm working on the c6 neck and for that i used Buddy Emmons course "Basic c6" to get me started.
That is all instruction material i bought,i have been lucky to have bands and friends to play with since i got my first "steel",at home i practise a lot by listening to a bunch of records mostly country music and play along with them,i think thats very useful for developing some kind of personal style.
Dayton Osland

Post by Dayton Osland »

I am a "collector" by nature and have a tendancy to grab steel instruction material when it's available, whether I'm ready or not.

I have both Deluxe Method and Anthology. For learning specific songs, Anthology is better as one would expect. Deluxe method uses short (usually one page) songs to allow you to practice the chord or method just presented. Anothology has longer arrangements and in several cases has two aproaches to the same song. The last half of Anthology has several long pieces that appear on recordings by the original artists. These songs are: Londonerry Aire - Buddy Emmons, Bars of Steel - Lloyd Green, Brown Baggin' - Mike Smith, Hot Foot - Weldon Myrick, Russian Rolls - Nils Tuxen, Leather Britches - Doug Jernigan, Doug's Melody - Doug Jernigan, Song for Sara - Paul Franklin, Reminiscing - Jerry Byrd and Blue Jade - Buddy Emmons.

I think both books have their place and compliment and reinforce each other. One neat thing about Anthology is all the pictures of Steel Players from around the world.

Hope this helps.

Dayton Osland
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Buddy Emmons Courses
(Thanks for the plug, Crow!)
Good luck, Niklas! Image

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Leroy Riggs

Post by Leroy Riggs »

Doug Beaumier has several excellent courses one of which is "16 easy songs for the E9th" albeit his background band support could be more complete.

I would stay away from the "Just Jammin" until you have a through understanding of chords at a given pedal/knee/fret position--"Just Jammin" does not mark any chord in the book you are playing and for some of us, me, this is sometimes hard to ascertain since I play by ear.

Leroy