Acoustic separation baffles on stage?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tom Ensink

Acoustic separation baffles on stage?

Post by Tom Ensink »

Hi everybody:

I had this (stupid?) idea that I would like to share with you.

I am gearing up my Melobro to use on stage along some pretty loud playing fellow musicians (we play e.g. easy money by waylon jennings). The problem is, obviously, to fight feed back and the general sound level of the instrument.

As I intend to only use a mic, and the Melobro will stay put on a stand next to my steel guitar, I was just thinking:

Wouldn't it help raising the sound level of the mic'ed sound if you put those acoustic separation baffles around the stand of the guitar? You know, the ones that you often see on TV shows around drum kits (see e.g. clearsonic.com).

What do you think?

Tom

------------------
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hey, Tom, great idea- but at what cost? Most of the drummers I've played with feel isolated behind those baffles, perhaps a bit of embarrassment for generating the volume that required them in the first place, but in a recording atmosphere, baffles are commonplace. Onstage, a clear (see-through) baffle has become accepted for drummers (and Pete Townsend), but wouldn't baffles get in the way of your stage interaction, etc. with your fellow musicians? We're back to the thousand threads and discussions with dobroists and other acoustic folk trying to deal with micing up their instruments in a loud onstage environment. Tricky. The search for the best pickup/mic solution goes on.. best of luck!
mikey

Post by mikey »

as I put in a previous post...try out a Lace Dobro sensor...then you can play as loud as you like and not lose your tone...no feedback...and cheaper then baffles..
Mike
Tom Ensink

Post by Tom Ensink »

Thank you for your thoughts.

I was not intending to cage myself entirely. The baffle would be just high enough to cover the instrument on the stand, and maybe a bit higher, and then use a unidirectional mic.

I also made the drum comparison, although I figure that the baffles they use for drummers are more likely intended to isolate the drumsounds than to isolate the stage sounds from the drum mics, would not it?

Tom