A $500 Rick Model 59?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Russ Young

A $500 Rick Model 59?

Post by Russ Young »

Has anyone seen Rickenbacher Model 59s selling for $500? Someone exercised a "Buy It Now" option on this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=926680963

It appears to be in reasonable shape, but the price seems way out of line with what the metal-bodied Ricks usually sell for. Perhaps the body has been stuffed with shredded $1 bills instead of old L.A. newspapers?
Kim West

Post by Kim West »

yes--what's the deal with these? how do they compare with the bakelite versions? these seem to be the bastard children rickies. why? i've been tempted to snag one, for one thing, because they're usually pretty cheap...
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

It's hard to believe someone would pay that much for a metal bodied Rickenbacker lap steel. They don't sound that good in my opinion; they're far inferior to the Bakelite B6 and BD-6 models.
Oh, well, what do I know. I just bought a Hound Dog Dobro® for $427!

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

I've only played one metal-bodied Rick, but I think I'd take the Hound Dog ... and the change back from my $500.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

A bit steep for what it is, and it in no way compares to the bakelite models IMHO. Do my eyes deceive me or has that guitar got the later model magnets ? Anyway, buyer beware. It's a Rickenbacker, but it's a student model at best.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by George Keoki Lake on 03 December 2002 at 10:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

It seems that a lot of the "student" model Ricks are selling for pretty high prices these days and I'm curious as to why myself.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Image Good day on Ebay !!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=926508519&ssPageName=ADME:X:BN:US:2

------------------
"If the SHOES fit ... you must EQUIP..."
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Nice guitar Rick. Excellent price for a pre-war Bakelite. Good luck with it.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

An "Early 50s" Bakelite with a "Rickenbacher Electro" badge? I thought the "h" became a "k" after WWII ended ...
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Most of the time ... sellers misrepresent the date to their advantage (on purpose or just an honest mistake) ...

Then there is this one .... This baby is all Pre-War . ...1 1/2" shoes .. thumb screw height adjustment ..

They went back to the "string thru the body design" in the 50's ... but with 1 1/4" shoes ... surrounded by a chrome plated "Frame" ...

Some tampering with the pots ...looks like they were repositioned ... on the audience side ... no biggie to me ...

------------------
"If the SHOES fit ... you must EQUIP..."
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 05 December 2002 at 06:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Nice use of the eBay search engine, Rick!

This one didn't come up under "Rickenbacher," "Rickenbacker," "Bakelite," or even "lap."

I usually check "Electro." I must have been asleep at the switch ... well, at least now I know better than to get into a bidding war with "Elliehoopii."
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Wow! Good snag, Rick.

Will Ray of the Helecasters is writing a column for Guitar Player that reveals a lot of ebay strategies. Get those Ricks while you can, Rick
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Now all I gotta do is convince the Mrs. that I HAD to get it ....

She said no more Ebay ... or I'd be sleepin' with my Rickys ... outside ...

And we just got 8" of snow up here ....

Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Regarding Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker, I came across the following in an old post:

According to Smith's Complete History of Rickenbacker book, the spelling "Rickenbacker" was used in all of the sales literature, but the "Rickenbacher" spelling was used on the nameplates on the instruments until the 50's.

But that's no 50s guitar you've got, Rick.
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Another Model 59 with worn paint on the body and horseshoes just closed with a high bid of $266 -- but that didn't meet the reserve. Who knows what the seller wanted for that one ...