Dobro Query

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ally

Dobro Query

Post by Ally »

I've just bought a 1938 Dobro Model 32 metal body "fiddle edge" guitar – nd very sweet it is too – but have a query. There are three holes drilled in a straight line along the lower bought; looks to be for tone/volume pots as there are circular marks in the finish round them. Would these be original? Did they make "electric" metal instruments. The holes are pretty big (ones about 8mm in diamater, the other two about 5mm) which would be too big for pick guard mounts, I think.

Anyone out there know?

Cheers

AC
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Are these holes right below the neck, between the two sound holes? See Clay Harrell's web site for some pictures of a Dobro® Model 32, and a discussion of those holes.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Ally

Post by Ally »

Brad, no. Not the standard dobro holes. (it has them, too). These are on the lower bout, parallel to the strings. How do I post a pic?
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ally on 05 December 2002 at 10:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Send the picture to me and I'll post it on my web site temporarily; otherwise use Picture Host or your own web server space, then post a link to it here. Contact me off the forum for assistance.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel

Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I can't tell what purpose those extra holes along the treble side of the upper bout of the guitar would have served. I know some Dobro® guitars had pick guards, but I don't think this model did, and besides, those holes are far too large!

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel

Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

From the looks of the 'finger wear" around the smaller holes,it certainly looks like it could 've accomodated vol. & tone controls.

The larger hole could've had a selector switch in it,perhaps,for choosing more than one p/u. One,next to the base of the fretboard,& one,next to the bridge. J.M.O.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I received an email from Loni Specter which said those holes would be perfect for a tone control, volume control and output jack. Looks like this guitar had a pickup installed at one time, perhaps inside the body.
Do the holes affect the sound at all? My guess would be that the guitar sounds fine either way.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel

Ally

Post by Ally »

The guitar still sounds amazing.. the holes don't seem to diminish the tone at all. Yeah, I assumed they were for volume/tone pots (forgot about the input jack ... obvious, really). I've found some reference to dobro putting out electric metal bodies in the late 1930s, but, alas, no pics.

These are incredibly well-built guitars ... action, fit and finish really surprised me.

Thanks for your help!