Dobro Tunings

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Willis Vanderberg

Dobro Tunings

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Can anyone tell me what tuning Jerry Douglas uses ? I wondered if all the top pickers use the G tuning.I am just starting with the Dobro. I have played lap steel for years with an E tuning and the G doesn't work for me.Thanks

Bud

r johnson

Post by r johnson »

I have been playing a dobro for one year.
Started out using a round bar and an E tuning. It was a comfort zone thing for me.
Recently I switched to the G tuning and a
Shubb Pearse bar #2. Two things were very apparent, the dobro comes alive in a G tuning and the bar improves the tone.
It's worth the effort to make the switch.

nick allen

Post by nick allen »

As far as I know Jerry D uses G tuning virtually all the time on dobro/resonator guitar. However, on Weissenborn and (electric) lap steel, I believe it's mainly a D or E tuning.
A search on this forum will turn up several discussions on the various merits of these two tunings. Look in particular for posts by Pete Grant on the advantages of the D or E tuning.
Nick
Ally

Post by Ally »

JD uses D tuning a fair bit – more these days than on his older, more bluegrass albums. (Check out little martha on lookout for hope)

It's a great fun tuning, especially for bluesy stuff.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I saw him in concert recently and he had two Scheerhorns. G and D (I'm pretty sure)and used them equally. When he broke the high D string on his G tuned guitar, he picked up the other one and retuned it.