Obsolete Instruments?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

To Ray and George, I was talking about the guy who wrote that lap steels were obsolete.
I thought that I was clear about that, but apparently I wasn't. My opoligies.
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Just as an observer, The Hawiian steel guitar is becoming more popular, The Sheerhorns , Beards, etc. Dobros , Benoit`s . All these are brand names for the old Hawiian steel`s ,accoustic. For years theyve been called dobros, DOBRO is Gibson`s brand name for steel guitar.

R.L.Jones
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

wow, this topic has really touched a nerve here. <font size=-1>I knew it would!</font>
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Not a viable instrument? This dork has clearly never heard Billy Robinson, or Kayton Roberts spank the plank. The guy is probably making a fortune off of all these supposed canoe paddles people are sending him thinking that they aren't worth squat.

John Drury
NTSGA #0003
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Tom Morell,,Joaquin,,,Boggs,,Koefer..John Ely,,,Jerry Byrd,,,Speedy,,,Remington. Vance
Terry..Roy Wiggins,,what more can I say? Image

There are others but the names go on and on.

These players recordings are available presently...you tell me. Obsolete??? I DONT THINK SO. Who else did I leave out???
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

No problem Andy....just wanted to be sure.

Jody, you left out one BIG name... "JODY CARVER" !
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

George
I have never considered myself in the class of those mentioned. I tell long stories though. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 31 August 2002 at 12:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Kavanagh

Post by John Kavanagh »

"Obsolete" is a funny word to use for a musical instrument, anyway. Different tools do different jobs well, and as musical needs change, sometimes the tools change.

But musical fashion is a very changeable thing, and the mainstream isn't the only stream, and people are always finding new ways to use old tools.

My perspective on this is that I've spent most of my adult life playing the viola da gamba, an instrument that was first declared "obsolete" almost 300 years ago. But I like it, dammit, and I'm stubborn.

Don't ANY of you guys sell your Stringmasters. And if you do, call me first.
Warren Slavin

Post by Warren Slavin »

Jody Carver said it all on the subject of obsolete lap steels -- I would like to add the many Hawaiian lap steel players that thrilled the world before Pedal Steel. Pedal Steel is great for C/W music just as lap steel was played in C/W bands before Pedals came out. Those names are: David Keli'i, Dick McIntire, Andy Iona, Bobby Nichols, Danny Stewart, Joe Custino, Jules Ah See, Barney Isaacs, Sol Ho'opi'i, Tommy Castro, Hal Aloma, Eddy Pang, Jake Keli'ikoa.

These were the Hawaiian Lap Steel Players that we listened to back then and today -- all are deceased now -- I'm sure I missed some. Hawaiian Music sounds best on a lap steel or a non-pedal console.

Thank you for listening (reading).
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

Rock guitar icon Steve Kimock plays "lapsteel" for about a third of his show, mostly on a Fender double 6.
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

Don't forget Joe Perry from Aerosmith. He has played Lap Steel on plenty of their cuts and a few years back he got a custom 6 string Pedal Steel from the late Freeman Cougar which he used on their last album "Just Push Play." So, there are still a lot of guys using it in the Pop/Rock world.
Andy Greatrix

Post by Andy Greatrix »

Also the guy in pink floyd plays lap steel.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

And let's also remember ...
Steve Howe, Cindy Cashdollar, Greg Leisz, Gary Brandin, Ben Harper, Kelly Joe Phelps, John Ely, Alan Akaka, Sonny Rhodes, Freddie Roulette, Paul Franklin, Jerry Douglas, Bobby Ingano, Rob Icks, The Campbell Brothers, Robert Randolph, David Lindley, Jr. Brown and many more.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

The great blues guitarist Jimmie Vaughan also plays lap steel and took some lessons with Jerry Byrd.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I remember an interview where Jimmy said his personal nickname for lap steel was "Sleepy Guitar".
Guitar_Bobby_Leach

Post by Guitar_Bobby_Leach »

Is my Triple 8 Remington obsolete already ? Dang ! I just had it made 2 years ago.
"Live and Learn"