What's the latest on goodrich pots?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Logan Day

What's the latest on goodrich pots?

Post by Logan Day »

I recently purchased a used Goodrich pedal, and I'm interested in replacing the scratchy pot that came with it. Many older posts I have come across recommend the dunlop Hot Potz 2, but I have noticed the design has changed recently, with the older round model being out of stock just about everywhere. The only amazon review for the new one claims that the pot only reads at about 440k. Most folks in older posts recommend the one Tom Bradshaw is selling, but judging by the product photo it looks like he also may have switched to the newer model. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is Tom actually shipping the round model, and does he actually modify the pots from dunlop? Have you tried the new one? Have you had success with other replacement pots recently?

Thanks everyone!

The currently available 470k hot potz: https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dunlop-ECB42 ... op?ie=UTF8
Tom's offering: https://songwriter.com/bradshaw/potentiometers.php
[/url]
Erickson S10
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I have not used the 2nd gen. Hotz Potz but I have installed a half dozen or so of the 1st gen. I suspect they are the same 470K ohm electronically, just the shape and tab config.

This most recent model looks like an improvement over the older one having the terminals moved to the more traditional config.

The older ones with the little buttons on the back were just a PITA to solder on, plus clearance from the pedal housing needed to be checked....close on my pedals.

You'd have to check with Tom, but I don't know that he does any mods to them.

Both of these models have the flat milled on the shaft which makes adjusting the pots starting/stopping position difficult.

If you check with the Goodrich folks, I believe those have a completely round shaft. Not sure about Tom's.

Overall, they work fine. I would still prefer the old AB pots but they're history, so these are what we have to work with.

The taper is slightly different on these, but once you get used to them, it's fine.
Tom Bradshaw

My Pots

Post by Tom Bradshaw »

The only difference in the original Dunlop audio-tapered pots I originally sold and the ones I now sell is the style of the soldering lugs. The older model was a bit more confusing with the "stud-projecting" soldering post model. The current pots have the more standard soldering lug configuration. The "guts" in these pots is the same and are lasting forever it seems. Good for buyers, bad for sellers! And yes, they are 470 ohms. ...Tom (tommybradshaw@gmail.com)