Upper Register Clarity

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Pfannkuche

Upper Register Clarity

Post by Stephen Pfannkuche »

First post here. As a brand new pedal steel player, let me first say thanks to everyone here for providing wonderful knowledge and resources for those of us just starting out on the pedal steel journey.

Question: It's taken me a while, but I am starting to get a decent-sounding tone while playing anywhere in the first 12 fret positions. However, as I move above the 12th fret, the sound starts to get very "muddy," and I seem to lose all of the individual string clarity that I am able to get lower on the fretboard. Any guesses as to what I may be doing wrong here?

I am preparing to play with a band for the first time in a couple of weeks, so I am trying to get this issue cleared up.

Quick Note: While I am new at the pedal steel, I have been playing guitar, including slide guitar, for over two decades, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!
D. Scheindlin

Post by D. Scheindlin »

Does your guitar have a humbucker or single coil? My limited experience is that it’s more of an issue with humbuckers. Making sure your picking hand is as close to the changer end as possible can help brighten things a bit. That’s all I’ve got.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Certainly you need to pick closer to the bridge as you move up the frets, but then you probably know that from playing other guitars. You also need to be very accurate with your bar placement. The higher you go the more important it becomes to keep the bar at right angles to the strings, and it's possible that a lack of clarity may be partly down to imperfect intonation.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

When you go down in HUEY LAND, Below the 12th fret. Everything has to be right. Pickup, Amp and Cables.

When I changed amps a 2 or 3 years ago, To a Quilter Tone Block 202, I had to also go to heavier cables. With other amps I had used George L .155 cables for years. With the TB 202, The strings below fret 12 sounded muddy. I went to D'Addario .240 cables and the muddy was gone.

May want to try different cables for a start.
Some say, "Even shorter/longer cables will change tone below the 12th fret".

Good Luck in finding the sound you want. Happy steelin.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

When I asked the same question shortly after I started playing, somebody told me to treat the area above the 12th fret almost like it’s a different instrument in regard to sustain and clarity. You have to make adjustments in both picking and bar hand technique. As far as amp EQ settings, a compromise must be met between what sounds good in the upper and lower registers.

I’m sure there is some science in choosing cables. I don’t spend much time on it, just get something from a name I can pretty well trust. Here’s a discussion on it:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 9a773f2857

One last thing, disconnect everything else in your signal chain - including the volume pedal - and go straight into the amp from your guitar. Play all over the neck. Dial in your amp’s EQ. This is how to get a baseline for your tone.

Next, add in your volume pedal. You might be shocked at how much high end a volume pedal can roll off your tone. I sure as heck was! Then, one at a time, add whatever is in the rest of your chain. Hopefully this way you’ll find what’s mucking it up in Hueyland.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I don't think pickups or cables or eq settings have anything to do with it. Find a guy who plays well to play your guitar and I'll bet it sounds great up there.

It's gonna be in your picking and bar technique. There is a different sort of finesse that you need in the higher registers and there are no tricks or shortcuts.

I'll take a few minutes and do a quick zoom type call and show you what I mean. Go ahead and get in touch if you want.
Bob
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:I don't think pickups or cables or eq settings have anything to do with it. Find a guy who plays well to play your guitar and I'll bet it sounds great up there.

It's gonna be in your picking and bar technique. There is a different sort of finesse that you need in the higher registers and there are no tricks or shortcuts.
I agree. when playing way up in Hugheyland, the margin for error for your picks, bar, and volume pedal gets pretty thin. :) John Hughey....."The undisputed master of bar shiver and high registry intonation." That's why it's called "Hugheyland". :)

Mitch
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

I agree with Fred that on any instrument as you ascend you reach a point above the treeline where strange things start to happen. On string instruments your fingers get fatter. On brass the available notes get so close together that you're throwing darts blindfold. On woodwinds the fingerings become too complex for an ordinary human brain.

But don't we love a challenge. At least on steel the pedalling stays the same! :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs