Beginner 6 String Steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Richard Vineyard

Beginner 6 String Steel

Post by Richard Vineyard »

Im 80 years old and have played some bass for a while using the number system, cant read music, now I just purchased a used Rogue 6 string lapsteel, I changed the tuners to something better, purchased a kit of the internet that allowed me to change the scale to 22.5 with a new nut, bridge and fretboard vinyl overlay. I changed out the pots to better ones, and moved the input jack to the side so that it doesn't come out of the top and added new strings. the ones I installed are for G tuning, I also have a set for C6 and open E. Now after all that I need to learn how to master this thing or at least play it. I play bass at our local church in the praise band and thought it might be nice if I could learn to play the lapsteel and occasionally play at least one song with it a month during the service.
Any and I mean any help will be appreciated as this instrument it totally new to me and Im sure it wont come easy to an 80 year old.

Thanks everyone in advance for any assistance, suggestions and directions I might get.

Rich Vineyard from St Louis, MO