Fender Princeton Reverb

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul Awalt

Fender Princeton Reverb

Post by Paul Awalt »

Will a 12 watt Princeton Reverb with a 10" speaker work as a practice or small venue amp for a steel guitar?
Stew Crookes

Post by Stew Crookes »

I think you'll find that a Princeton is often underpowered for band rehearsals (especially with drums) but 100% useable for home practice. If you have a serious PA to lean on it could work for live shows but most of us would find it less than ideal for steel. Might just be my all time favourite guitar amp though!
Music mixer, producer and pedal steel guitarist

stewcrookes.com
Mike Polansky

Post by Mike Polansky »

I use mine for both rehearsal and gigs but it's a stretch for rehearsals and you would absolutely need to be miced into a PA for gigs.
Jack Hanson

Re: Fender Princeton Reverb

Post by Jack Hanson »

Paul Awalt wrote:Will a 12 watt Princeton Reverb with a 10" speaker work as a practice or small venue amp for a steel guitar?
For playing at a reasonable volume level, and without a heavy-handed drummer, I would emphatically opine "yes." The sound of a good Princeton Reverb is hard to beat. I installed a 10" JBL in my Silverface 1980 PR, and it makes an awesome practice amp.
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

100% usable for practice and small gigs. Just make sure to change out the Oxford speaker and replace with a 10-in JBL or a Weber. That increases both headroom and volume substantially. It's an incredible sound.