Stranger On The Shore

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

John A. Russell

Stranger On The Shore

Post by John A. Russell »

Hey all

Before posting, I was wondering if the Acker Bilk Hit
"Stranger On The Shore", was a hit over there in the USA.

It was a major hit over here, but as a Brit, I have no knowledge of your music history.

Kind Regards

J.R.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Hi John

Yes, it weas a big hit in the US. There were a number of instrumental versions recorded.

Would make a great steel-guitar song.
John A. Russell

Thanks

Tom

Thanks for that.

I have tabbed it.

JR.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Robert Murphy

Post by Robert Murphy »

I was 12 years old and visiting my grandparents when Stranger on the Shore was playing on the radio. I was so impressed that the song never left my memory even though I didn’t remember the title. 30 years later when I began my musical journey it was still in my head but I couldn’t recall who performed it. It wasn’t until years later that I heard the song again and the artist name. I immediately found the sheet music and began playing Stranger on the Shore on an old Ohau acoustic square neck guitar. The song and the memories of Granny’s kitchen are very dear.
John A. Russell

Great Story

What a great story.

Thanks for sharing.

JR.
baxter vaughan

Post by baxter vaughan »

One of my favorites. My youngest daughter learned it on clarinet just for me!
Tons of memories.
Baxter
John A. Russell

Tablature

Hey all.

Seems to be an interest in the tune.
Maybe one for December.

JR.
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

I remember Stranger On The Shore very well. Wasn't it Acker Bilk and The Paramount Jazz Band. I'd like to have a copy please.

Charlie
nelsonsboy@hotmail.com
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
John A. Russell

Paramount

Charlie.

Sure was Acker Bilk and the Paramount Jazzband.

The tune was written by Acker.

Put it on my todo list for December.

JR.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes... Acker's "Stranger on the Shore" was a huge hit here in the US. It reached #1, and it was also #1 on Billboard's year-end hot singles of 1962.

I recorded a (non-pedal) steel video of "Stranger on the Shore" and posted it on YouTube seven years ago.

----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo3c70X_WGU