A Special Day

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kenny Davis

A Special Day

Post by Kenny Davis »

I'm celebrating a "milestone" today - According to information from Mr. Gene Haugh obtained a few years ago, I learned my guitar's birthday. It was built 50 years ago today by Paul Sr.!

I remember the day I ordered it from Del City Music in the early fall of '73, and them letting me pick it up at the bus station in OKC. It has served me well all these years and provided me with a lot of cool experiences. A trip to Ricky Davis in 2005 for a clean and adjust is all it's needed all these years. Anyone else have a similar story?

Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

What a wonderful Story and Memory, Brother Davis.
That "PRO~II" has literally been your "Brother-in-Arms" all 50 years.
Love it.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I have a story concerning my current pedal steel, my Jackson Blackjack Custom and how I got it-in '09, I was playing a steel guitar show in Atlanta, Georgia and David and Harry Jackson were at the show, and I was playing a red and gold GFI at the time. After my set during the show, I walked out into the hallway of the Yaarab Shrine Temple in Atlanta, and David and Harry Jackson were in the hall with several Jackson pedal steel guitars-there was a Jackson Blackjack, a Jackson Pro IV, and a Jackson Madison '63. and David asked me if I wanted to try out one of those guitars, so I told him yes, I would love it! So, I sat behind the Madison '63 and played a few parts of "Crazy Arms" and "San Antonio Rose" then David and Harry asked me what I thought of it, and I told them I loved it! I then decided that a Jackson steel would be my next steel, so in April of 2010, David and Harry Jackson built my Jackson Blackjack Custom-its' birthday is April 20th and I got it on April 24,2010 and for thirteen years, it's been with me in Pickens, South Carolina, and will always be my best pedal steel guitar!
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Ricky - Yes, I've never entertained another guitar. I fell in love with Lloyd & Hal's sound and knew I had to have a Sho~Bud. My first guitar was a Crossover which sounded great, but when the Pro II debuted I had to have one. It's the only guitar I had for 29 years until a guy talked me into trading a black face Super Reverb for a mint MSA Classic SS. While a great guitar, I've probably only played out with it maybe a dozen times in over 20 years. My band was playing Walnut Valley Festival at Winfield Kansas a few years ago, and I was finding toting a double neck and a Session 400 too much to handle while doing 2-3 shows a day on multiple stages over a 3 day period. I decided to downsize and bought a very nice Pro I from Damir, and paired it with a Nasville 112. That has been my primary rig for the last 7 years. I play the Pro II at home and will take it out every once in awhile. I intend to play it next month at our CD release shows celebrating the band's 50th Anniversary. By the way - the Session 400 in the background I've had for 47 years!

Brett - Great story! I figured if I ever felt like a deserved a new guitar (or needed one) it would be a Jackson. It's "still in the family" and I have a deep respect for David & Harry. As you well know, they are top notch and have a great sound!
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."