Pomai Brown

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Levi Gemmell

Pomai Brown

Post by Levi Gemmell »

A question probably for those who get to the various steel guitar festivals in Hawai'i.

Anybody know what kind of steel Pomai Brown plays? Great touch and tone! I understand he studied with Jerry Byrd when he was young.

I've seen him with what looks to be a Sho~Bud with his name on the front. I think I've also seen him with a Canopus?
Commodore S-8
John Allison S-8
JB Frypan S-8
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

I've been to, well, one, and he didn't play then. But just googling videos and images, it looks like a very common one is that branded one you mentioned maybe being a ShoBud. Definitely a pedal-style console S10, maybe made custom? Or at least, customized. Canopus are pretty common with players in the islands too (especially in the 90s, 00s it seems like).
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Levi Gemmell

Post by Levi Gemmell »

Thanks Nick. Alternatively, if not a Sho~Bud then perhaps an Excel without pedals? If you told me it was a custom based on the Jerry Byrd model, I'd believe it. Obviously that particular axe is not a Canopus...

The reason I mention Canopus is because I used to follow a hula dancer on Facebook who regularly posted her performances at the Halekulani, and I'm sure it was Pomai, and I'm sure it was a Canopus - but I just can't quite remember!
Commodore S-8
John Allison S-8
JB Frypan S-8
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb
Tony Oresteen

Post by Tony Oresteen »

Looking at his videos, it is not a Sho-Bud. I think he has a custom built cabinet using a pair of PSG end pieces to hold the legs. Since it has 5 tuners on the treble side I assume it is a 10 string but it could be a 6, 7, or 8 - I've seen sacred steel players using a PSG ten string head strung with six strings.

To me it appears to be a shorter scale than the 24" standard PSG - I assume it is a 22.5" scale.

I could see no sign of pedals so it is a console steel guitar.

He sounds good to me!
Tony
Newnan, GA

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139 '71 Sho-Bud 6140
'82 Sho-Bud 6160 '73 Sho-Bud 6138
'71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black '70??? Fender Champ Lap Steel