'Dolphin Dance' for A6

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Guy Cundell

'Dolphin Dance' for A6

Post by Guy Cundell »

This is a tune that I have loved for a long time. I don't think this arrangement is particularly difficult to play. No reverse slants. Some of the melody notes were a bit of a challenge to harmonise, such as the minor 11ths and the b5 on a dominant chord.

It is in the original key so it can be played with standard backing tracks. I was surprised to find the Aebersold track up on YouTube.

Here is a performance of the arrangement with my mate Steve Wilson on guitar.

https://youtu.be/KV8Z3hM_KRM

This is a link to the Aebersold backing track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XleIVXF2wlA

Here is a link to the original recording from Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage album 1965.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS0_Itd0FWU

This is the 1976 recording by Grover Washington that first got me in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O86my1tZ4tg

Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Love how you're finding new and exciting tunes to do on steel, Guy. Very well done, my friend!
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

Ambitious and impressive! I love Maiden Voyage from that same album.

As an aside...it's a great thing for a steel player, when you find a good jazz rhythm guitarist to play with. I worked with a guy like that for a few years, who had sort of a magical balance of knowing good, proper jazz voicings, and also didn't seem too bored to play along with Hawaiian songs. (Sadly for me, he moved out of state) It isn't the same, for sure, playing along with local ukulele players!
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

Played through the tab — great stuff, and easy to play! Nice to see you playing in that vid too.
I missed playing through new A6th tabs you used to make in that old, now closed facebook group.
Would love to see more vids from you guys.
Ethan Shaw

Post by Ethan Shaw »

Nice job, Guy!
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Thank you, Andy, Nic, Joe and Ethan!

Nic, I am very fortunate to have a good friend who can play so well and has patience. It was actually he who, in about 1985, put a copy of Will's 'For The Last Time' in my hands and said "Have a listen to this." I'd never heard anything like it.

I also have a couple of other good mates (bass and drums) with whom we are developing a lap steel focused repertoire, built around my Stringmaster triple neck.

So Joe, there will be more tabs from time to time. I have a book of standards that I arranged for A6 when I was doing gypsy jazz and hope to record some soon. They will be up on The Stringmasters YouTube channel when they happen but I will put tabs here. Gotta support b0b's legacy.

I am also working on E13 tabs from time to time, to try and elevate my E13 playing. They will make their way here.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

Gorgeous playing!

"I have a book of standards that I arranged for A6 when I was doing gypsy jazz and hope to record some soon."

I would buy that in a heartbeat!! I have found some you posted in the past. Thank you!
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Thank you, Sam and Tim.

Tim, I have no commerce in mind but I will post more bits and pieces here. Facebook groups are handy but generally, it is terrible so I won't be posting any more tabs there. Eventually, I'll get a website together.