Date and signature on an MSA

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

K Maul

Date and signature on an MSA

Post by K Maul »

A pal has a line on this lacquer maple body. Serial #1C5182. Year?
I think I know the answer … but could this crude engraved signature possibly by any stretch be legit?
It says “Lloyd Green”.
Thanks for any info.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Bob Shilling

Post by Bob Shilling »

My MSA Classic, #1C5126 was dated bty David Wright as 1 April '76. This one can't ne much later. Maybe David will chime in here.

I've seen these signatures discussed in other threads on the SGF, and I would guess that the signature is "by any stretch, legit." Do a forum search on this.

p.s., Is that a wound fifth string?
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10, "Classic"
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Back in the 80s, some of the pros would use a powered engraving tool to autograph the end plates of guy's guitars.

I once owned a Zum that had engraved autographs by Jeff Newman and Buddy Emmons.

That doesn't confirm the Lloyd sig of course, but I'm just saying it was quite prevalent back in those days.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Et voilá, the MSA LDG! :D

Fans had many guitars signed by their heroes.

While I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the Lloyd Green autograph, all I can say is that this IS indeed an authentic MSA!

:D ... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Bob Shilling wrote:
p.s., Is that a wound fifth string?
This guitar is kind of messed up. It sat in a pawnshop and it needs restoration badly. It’s been set up to some tuning other than E9.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The way the 5th and 6th strings in the picture is wound on the tuners shafts, Nothing would surprise me on how the guitar is set up.

With the George L pick up it should have a good tone, If the right pickup for the guitar.

Nice looking guitar, Pull the changer clean out the dried up grease and re rod it to a standard E9th tuning would make a very nice guitar.

At one time the guitar has been played quite a bit. The S10 MSA I played for about 20 year, I wore the fret board in the same way.

All depends if the price is right.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

June 1, 1976