PSA: How To Upload Pictures.

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Sinkler

PSA: How To Upload Pictures.

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Just a little public service announcement on how to upload photos on the forum. It's actually incredibly easy. I wish I could lock this here, and I posted in this section because more people visit here than the Forum Feedback section (and there is already a sticky there on uploading that I am sure not many people notice). If the admins will let this stay here, I will occasionally bump it to the top, and hopefully many more members will see it. I personally know 2 members that have NEVER visited the Forum Feedback section (one who didn't know how to upload pics).

I see MANY posts where the poster says they can't or don't know how to upload the photos.

In the Post Reply window, click on "Upload Picture".

The photo needs to be on the device you are using, although you can place a link to an external picture on the internet (as long as that pic stays in the location on the net. If it is moved or deleted, your pic will disappear). And it must not be too large (the software will resize it to a nice size, but if your picture is larger than those parameters, your going to have to use an image editing program, I use Photoshop but there are other software options, to shrink it's size. There are online sites that will do it for you). The max sizes are listed in the dialog box. See pic below. The sizes are highlighted in GREEN. Next you need to hit the "Choose File" button highlighted in ORANGE. Select your picture file. Then hit the "Send" button (also orange).

And while we are on this image, there are many posts where the picture comes in sideways or upside down. There is a way to correct this. After you hit "Send", a dialog box will appear with your pic and a link to "Insert Picture" (see 2nd photo below). If you see the picture isn't right side up, you can rotate the picture to make it right (highlighted in YELLOW). But, you have to cancel the upload and start the process over, making the rotation adjustment before hitting "Send".

NOTE (EDIT): Bobby mentioned the Gallery link in a reply below. I had no idea what it was until he posted. Here is his comment. Sounds like like a cool feature.
You may want to add to the original post, About the Gallery, And how it stores pictures for reposting on the forum.

Once you hit "Insert Picture", it will insert the code in your reply The picture itself is not visible at this point. Hit the "Preview" Button (highlighted in the pic below), and it will show exactly how your post will appear after you hit the Submit Button.

Hit "Submit".

And, NO, you cannot upload videos. You have to put the video somewhere on the internet, I use YouTube, and paste the link into your post.
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 24 Sep 2023 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dennis A Brown

Post by Dennis A Brown »

Thanks, this is helpful. It should be moved to permanent status with the tuning and other advice at the top of the thread list.
Justice S10 3x4 > Goodrich L120 > Roland Cube 80XL > MOTU M4 > Logic Pro
Supro Jet Airliner (reissue)
PRS Custom 24 SE
Roland FA-06
Richard Sinkler

Dennis A Brown wrote:Thanks, this is helpful. It should be moved to permanent status with the tuning and other advice at the top of the thread list.
It could be made into a "sticky". My concern is that members don't look at the sticky list. That is evident by the number of posts about "overtuning", a term that I am sure that many have never heard,and don't know that is their problem. I myself rarely look up there.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Hi Richard,
I like your examples of actual forms you used in your post. Great examples.
You may want to add to the original post, About the Gallery, And how it stores pictures for reposting on the forum.

I posted an answer to a post in Builders Corner (Pictures) a forum member asking about uploading pictures in May 23. it is going down the page now.
K Maul

Post by K Maul »

Thanks for that! I see people that don’t seem to know how this all works and it is really so easy. I guess there may be differences between computers that make it difficult in some cases.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Richard Sinkler

K Maul wrote:Thanks for that! I see people that don’t seem to know how this all works and it is really so easy. I guess there may be differences between computers that make it difficult in some cases.
It is the same on my 3 Windows computers (2 Win 11 and 1 Win 10), My Android phone and tablet, and my old iPad. There may be some that would display differently.
Richard Sinkler

Just a reminder
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

You're good at this Richard ... I've only occasionally had issues uploading pictures here, and that seems to be more with pictures that I've edited. b0b told me a LONG time ago to make a folder on my desktop and name it RAW. Put that picture in the RAW folder and BaZinga for some reason that works.

However, sending pictures in a PM seems to be a different animal I've never been able to figure out. Perhaps there's a trick for that as well. I never understood or have anyone tell me why the method in PM's isn't the same as on the Forum itself.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Richard Sinkler

Dale Rottacker wrote:You're good at this Richard ... I've only occasionally had issues uploading pictures here, and that seems to be more with pictures that I've edited. b0b told me a LONG time ago to make a folder on my desktop and name it RAW. Put that picture in the RAW folder and BaZinga for some reason that works.

However, sending pictures in a PM seems to be a different animal I've never been able to figure out. Perhaps there's a trick for that as well. I never understood or have anyone tell me why the method in PM's isn't the same as on the Forum itself.
I've never tried it, but I think I heard that can't send pics through PM.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Dale Rottacker wrote:You're good at this Richard ... I've only occasionally had issues uploading pictures here, and that seems to be more with pictures that I've edited. b0b told me a LONG time ago to make a folder on my desktop and name it RAW. Put that picture in the RAW folder and BaZinga for some reason that works.

I've never tried it, but I think I heard that can't send pics through PM.
Well there ya go… thanks
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I must say that this has been helpful to me.

While I do know how to upload pictures and done it hundreds of times, I have never noticed that 'Rotate image' option!!

Photos from my PC always transmit correctly but those from my Android phone sometimes get flipped. Next time, I'll know what to do.

It was right in front of my eyes, too!!!

It's a lesson in taking the trouble to seek out the information. I didn't know it was in 'Feedback'; I don't usually go there, fearing that the content will be hyper-technical. I shouldn't be so lazy.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Richard Sinkler

It's a lesson in taking the trouble to seek out the information. I didn't know it was in 'Feedback'; I don't usually go there, fearing that the content will be hyper-technical. I shouldn't be so lazy.
That's why I wanted to post it here. Many probably never visit there. I should have also posted it in the for sale sections, as that is where I see the most posts about no being able to upload pics. I thought might be a little overbearing though.
Richard Sinkler

Time for a bump.