Determining build date on Rains pedal steels + Rains parts?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Mudgett

Determining build date on Rains pedal steels + Rains parts?

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I picked up a Rains D10 recently. Great guitar. Front apron logo looks like

Code: Select all

Rains
Steel Guitars
so I assume this was built under Bob Rains' ownership - correct? Serial number of format 010-05-xxx, where xxx is quite a bit higher and looks like a sequence number. Is there some date-coded format to this; e.g., does 05 stand for year built and 010 stand for the month (or vice versa)? There is no potentiometer or other electronic part with EIA code on there to give a hint. Any help in determining build date appreciated.

I'm also interested in procuring a few parts for this guitar. I believe the Zero Pedal (Franklin change) was an add-on, and one of the pedal rods and coupler have non-standard threads - I found a temporary workaround, but putting my normal lift-kit on that rod was problematic. I'd like to get a correctly threaded pedal rod, as well as a few bell cranks and pull rods. Ideally, I'd like to get original spec parts. The added pedal was apparently machined by someone locally, but they did a great job, I see no reason to change it - it's hard to tell it's not an original part by looking at it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
chuck lemasters

Post by chuck lemasters »

Dave,
I think that first letter is D, rather than 0. I have a Gary Carpenter Rains, D10 05 0xx. I was told it was a 2006 build....
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Dave, You can contact Curtis Hogue by a PM here on the Forum. He now has the Rains guitars and parts. And can tell you the date of yours. And yes, I think you will find that one was a Bob Rains built one. Great guitars. And Curtis is a very nice guy and will treat you right.If you do not reach him contact me here on the Forum by PM.Maybe I can help. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Chuck, you're absolutely correct - that's D10-05-0xx. Looked to me like a zero to me upside-down in not so good lighting, but when I tipped it over and looked at it rightside-up with a flashlight, it's definitely a D. With the similar serial number, perhaps this is a guitar made near the transition between ownership in the 2005-2006 vicinity. Whoever made it, it's a really great-sounding guitar, and notably so above the 12th fret and into Hugheyland.

J R, I'll try to contact Curtis. I just need a handful of parts to get that home-brew pull-rod and coupler outta' there and a few bell cranks and pull rods for a couple of additional C6 pulls.

Thanks, guys.
Dennis Wireman

Curtis Hogue

Post by Dennis Wireman »

Dave did you ever find out about serial number dates on the rains? if so how do you contact Curtis Hogue?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

My favorite pedal steel is one built by Bob Rains with a lacquered body by Mark Giles.
I bought it from a Canadian steeler. He attended the steel show in Dallas and was looking for someone who would build him a steel like he wanted and Bob Rains volunteered to do it.
It is his gospel model. The logo is done in mother of pearl along with a dove on the front and the fret markers are also doves, just an outstanding instrument.

Jos Roderkerken

Post by Jos Roderkerken »

If it ever needs a new home Erv.. i’ll be happy to be her foster parent ;) :P
Why are you playing an ironingboard??

rriigghhtt