Thoughts on 12 string vs 10…hard to change?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

So...you've decided that being even is more important than each one being in as far as it can be? Perhaps making the lengths random would damp out any possible resonance better?
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Roger, Putting new strings on a keyless head guitar. Sometimes takes some added tools and a little extra work.
My favorite steel is a GFI Keyless.
The first time I changed strings on this guitar, I was a little uptight, With no nut rollers (solid steel nut bar) I was worried.
I even turned my tuner on so I would not over pull the strings.
But the rule of little strings have to be pulled or lowered further to reach the required note. Is really proven on a keyless steel. Seeing is believing.
The 3rd string always wins the longest pull on this guitar.

The more times you change strings the better you will get at the chore, And the more tools and special gadgets you will collect. This set was put on 9-23-23 time to change strings.
Good Luck changing strings, Happy Steelin.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Steve Lipsey wrote:So...you've decided that being even is more important than each one being in as far as it can be? Perhaps making the lengths random would damp out any possible resonance better?
What I've decided is that none of this matters much. I just want to see if I can annoy Roger. But yes, getting each string as short as possible is ideal even if it looks a mess. Art v. science.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs