TC Electronic Combo Deluxe 65 Pedal

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dennis Detweiler

TC Electronic Combo Deluxe 65 Pedal

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Has anyone tried this new preamp with steel? I watched the TC demo and it sounds very impressive. $150.00. I use a few of TC's pedals and have never been dissatisfied. If this preamp lives up to their other gear, it should be a winner.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I'm interested too. The sound clips are very good but if they followed the real Deluxe it will break up above 4 or 5. That's not good. I hope it's not the case.
Dennis Detweiler

No that wouldn't be good. I assume, since it would be used with a separate power amp, that you could turn up the volume from the power amp and avoid the breakup?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Dennis, that's what I'm wanting to know. All the reviews are done direct and that's not how I would use it. These amp simulation pedals seem aimed at the rock or metal guys and for recording. Just how many people do recording music and why? That's only a piece of players life. Youtube is about useless when it comes to demos of gear. That includes the manufacturers channels. Once in a while someone actually uses the gear on a job but records it on a phone. I was looking at the Universal Audio Dream 65, or Mad Professor super black. Both claim blackface sounds. Likewise with Walrus pedals.
Dennis Detweiler

I have two preamp pedals that I use with a power amp. If I set the pedal master volume full-on and adjust the pedal channel volume to a low setting, then set my power amp volume to my preferred volume, I can get a clean sound. The two I use are, Boss 59 pedal, which was built for the rock crunch and distortion players. MXR bass preamp is the other one. The MXR has a mid shift knob and it works well for a steel preamp. The MXR also has bass, treble, master and channel volume knobs. I get a clean sound with it also. The 59 Bassman pedal simulates the tube compression characteristics. I hope the Deluxe is capable of the same characteristics.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I do too. If it does I will definitely get one. I nearly pulled the trigger on the Mad professor super black. I haven't tried the Strymon Iridium. They seem to be extremely popular.
Tom Wolverton

It works

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I recently bought this pedal. A TC Electronic Ampworx Combo Deluxe 65. I was looking for something to use as part of an ampless rig. I had already bought a Tonex and liked it a lot, but I found the menus and knobs a bit difficult to tweak on the bandstand. I find the Combo Deluxe much easier to dial in a good tone. It’s much simpler and doesn’t do a lot of different amps. But it does a DR well. And now, thanks to a firmware update, the clean headroom is much better. I use it for pedal steel, non-pedal steel and lap steel. It seems to drive other pedals too. I am happy with it. And it’s less money ($150). My only complaint is that it has some background hiss. But nothing worse than my real tube DR.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Dennis Detweiler

I ordered the Combo Deluxe 65 today. I should have it next week. I want to put it in front of a Quilter 202. I have high expectations, but will let you know.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Dennis, hope you have a good return policy if it's not all you expected. I have a Boss GT 1 and the Pocket GT that shares the same programs. I find it very useful and has great clean blackface preamp with a parametric eq pedal in the available effects. Really offers some sweet tone tweaking options. You can choose the output options. Not overly complicated to learn. That said I'm still interested in the TC Electronics pedal. Hope it works out.
Dennis Detweiler

The pedal arrived today. I've never owned or played through a Fender Deluxe, so I can't compare the 65 Deluxe pedal vs the actual amp. The best comparison would be side by side. I still have to play with it a little more, but for now:
I run the bass knob full on and I'd like just a little more. The mid knob seems like it functions well, but has a narrow sweet spot. The treble is a little too bright and also a narrow sweet spot. However, the sweet spot has a little too much bite. I used a Broughton low pass filter in front of it and dialed it down to 1.5k and that took that edge off. I'm not sure what the frequencies are on the bass, middle, treble tone stack. The manual doesn't show the frequencies. I'm guessing the treble control to be more in the range of a presence control? I don't like the reverb, too twangy. The pedal as a whole probably replicates the Fender Deluxe fairly accurately? I used my preferred reverb and delay pedal with it and it was much better. No distortion with the gain and level control dialed in properly. Clean. I used the pedal into a Quilter Tone Block 200 and with an Eminence 12 inch neo steel guitar speaker. I'm guessing, when I use it with my 15 inch speaker, I'll get happier lows. I have a MXR M81 bass preamp pedal that is easier to dial in for steel guitar. It has a mid shift selection control like a session 400. The treble and bass control frequencies are also in step with a session 400. I'd rather use the M81 for a preamp.
Dennis Detweiler

I downloaded the latest firmware into the pedal. It added a little more bass and tube resemblance. Liking it more after playing around with it. I'm not sold on using it with the Quilter Tone blocks (201 and 200). I'm getting good tone and response plugging it into a Carvin HT400 rack head. I'm using the Nux delay/reverb pedal and it's a good combination. I still have to use the Broughton Low Pass Filter cutting at 3000hz to take down the highs. Nice Lloyd Green tone. I'll keep the Deluxe Combo 65.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Dennis, nice review and explanation. I have a Deluxe reverb reissue and have never liked it for steel. But I seen Terry Bethel play on a stock reissue and it sounded great. Also Jerry Roller used one and again it was good. I prefer my Twin reverb for steel. Your comments on the Tone block are in line with my thoughts that it's a bright amp, even when used as a power amp only.
Dennis Detweiler

Yes, both of my Tone Blocks add treble and sound dry compared to the Carvin HT400. However, the 202 has amp simulator selections. I'm just basing my review on the Combo pedal plugged into the Carvin and adjusting the Combo tone. Then when I plug that Combo tone setting into the Quilter Tone Blocks it's very thin. Night and day difference. The Fender Deluxe has no mid control, but TC Electronic added a mid to the Deluxe pedal for added tone selection. I just need to get it out on a job for a total review. I haven't tried it with a 15 inch speaker yet.
I would recommend the BroughtonLow Pass mini pedal if anyone is going to buy the Deluxe Combo Pedal. The treble control frequency has to be in the 10k hz range at minimum. Set the low pass around 3000hz. The Deluxe Combo pedal is worth the $150.00 price tag as a stand alone preamp.
Settings:
Treble 2.5
Mid 3 - 3.5
Bass 10
Level 10
Gain 6
Keep the Level full on for clean tone.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I have used the quilter micropro mach 2, the 101 mini and the 202. I tried my various tube and SS preamps in front and in the effects return. The 202 is much better but they all seem to have a treble range that is hard to manage. Speaker choices make a difference as do cabinet size. While it's usable it's not my best tone. From a listener standpoint it may be great. I have witnessed the TT 12 and 15 combos live and they did sound amazing. Up close in the steel seat things take on a different perspective.
Dennis Detweiler

The Carvin HT400 is a two space stereo (two power channels) and fairly heavy. I mounted it in a two space rack cabinet. It's a great power amp and handles 2, 4, 8 ohm loads with varying power outputs. 400w bridged at 4 ohm. It's clean. My totally satisfying system is the Revelation with JJ12AX7MG tubes connected to a Crown (class D) stereo rack amp, both in one rack case. The Rev is a complex preamp, but after diving into how the controls overlap each other, I've dialed in a perfect tone.
I'm satisfied with the Deluxe Combo pedal and Carvin amp. Just need to get it out on the job for a final trial.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Thanks for that information. I have an old Carvin Stereo power amp only about 150 watts SS no tubes but it's served me well and single rack space. I also have a Peavey DPC 750 and a Stewart power amp, an old Digitech 300 watt 2 rack space and some other odds and ends. I may get the pedal to try out because of the small footprint.
I have the Revelation in a rack with the Stewart power amp and Lexicon mpx1.
Tom Wolverton

Bright switch

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Dennis. Make sure to turn OFF the bright switch (in the back) on the Deluxe Combo pedal.
Dennis Detweiler

Hi Tom, I did that and it helps, but still not enough off of the treble. The Low Pass filter did the trick. The firmware update did some subtle tube enhancement and added a little more bottom end. So, I think I have it sounding pretty good. The upgrade didn't do anything to the reverb. I set the reverb tone control on the back to a darker tone, but it's just too twangy. To get that nice tale verb sound, the reverb knob just brings the whole thing up too much. Going to introduce it at band practice in a few hours. Saturday is a steel jam and I'll take the Rev system and this Combo/Carvin system and compare them.
I'll review again after Saturday.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I got a Broughton Low Pass filter pedal and put it in front of the Deluxe Combo pedal. That really warmed it up and no hiss. Sounds great. I run it into a Bose S1 Pro. It works great.
ajm

Post by ajm »

I'm late to this discussion and jumping in with a comment.

A couple more Fender type emulators/simulators to check out:
Joyo American Sound
Caline American Sound (both of these are very inexpensive)

Wampler Tweed 57
Wampler Black 65

Tech 21 Blonde

UA Audio also has several new pedals out that are getting good reviews.

There are demos by the ton on Youtube for all of these.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I tried the Joyo pedal. It had a great OD tone, but not so great for clean. IMO. I also bought a ToneX pedal. There’s some nice settings. But I found it was too cumbersome for using live on the bandstand. This TC Electronic pedal works well for me. It is simple and gets it done. I’m sure there are other, better solutions as well. But for now, I’m done searching.

As my engineering boss used to say “Better is the enemy of Good Enough”
Dennis Detweiler

The MXR M81 Bass Preamp pedal is another good one for steel. The tone controls are:
Bass (45hz)
Mid Shift (find your mid hz)
Mid (find your dip)
Treble: 4000hz
This pedal is nearly identical to the Session 400 controls, minus the presence control.
I have the Combo 65 and the M81. I like them both. The M81 is standard stomp box dimensions.
I also have the Broughton Low-Pass filter to tame any highs. I use the Nux Atlantic Delay/Reverb in front of both preamps. Light weight amp system. I'm waffling back and forth between two power amps: Quilter 201 (plug into the effects return jack which bypasses the tone controls and use it at a power amp). The other amp is an old school Carvin HT400 rack power amp.