Extracting Audio from DVDs

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Ron Funk

Extracting Audio from DVDs

Post by Ron Funk »

I have some old PSG instructional DVDs that I'd like to extract only the audio from.....and them make audio CDs for my personal use.

Is anyone aware of a (hopefully) free program that will do what I'd like to do?

Thanks -

Ron
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

What I'm remembering from when I did some searching for DVD rippers a few years ago is that the free ones will limit you to only short lengths of copying (like 5 or 10 minutes), won't work on copy-protected material, and some of them do malicious stuff like installing stuff you did not want to install. So beware.

My conclusion was that if I wanted it bad enough (I didn't), I'd need to spend some money for a licensed program.

Sorry that I can't help with a specific suggestion.
Randy Schneider

Post by Randy Schneider »

Ron,

You might check out VLC media player or Handbrake, for starters. I've used both, and I'm sure there are more/other options.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Extract_audio/
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Thanks for above suggestions.

If all else fails, I can always record the audio onto my handheld Zoom H4N audio recorder and then transfer that file to CD.

'Was hoping there was a 'quicker way'

Thanks again
Ron
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

Audacity will do it, and it is free. It will capture any audio that is playing on or streaming to your computer, even the audio tracks of video. Their are a couple of settings that you have to change in Audacity. Then all you do is hit record, then play your audio or video source. Audacity will automatically record when you start your audio/video source. Press stop when you are done, edit if necessary, and save. It really is very simple and straight forward.
ShoBud Pro 1, 75 Tele, 85 Yamaha SA 2000, Fender Cybertwin,