Ignorant Question About Electronic Parts

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Danny Letz

Ignorant Question About Electronic Parts

Post by Danny Letz »

I say ignorant because I don't know anything about electronics. I have a Goodrich Matchbox 60 on which the control is broke. I suppose it's like a tone control. Are tone controls potentiometers? I found these numbers on it, 73A4N056S105A, 1MEG, Mexico 8833. Being it is obviously broken and has only two wires connected (Really no diagnosing involved) I can change it out. Anyone know where I could get a new one?
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

Yes, tone controls are usually potentiometers. how is it broken?

Is this image correct for the innards of the unit? https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... 4p9bxq.jpg

In this schematic, the tone pot only has two connections: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix ... atic_1.jpg

I googled that part number, and not much is coming up. You might contact Kevin Ryan, the current owner of Goodrich, that's probably the quickest way.
Guacamole Mafia - California Country Rock band
Electrical engineer / amp tech in West Los Angeles
Mullen RP SD10 E9 / Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Princeton Reverb
"Now there is a snappy sounding instrument. That f****r really sings." - Jerry Garcia
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

Also, from the part number, it's a 1 megohm resistance, the "A" means audio (logarithmic) taper, and the 8833 is the date code showing the pot was made in the 33rd week of 1988.
"Now there is a snappy sounding instrument. That f****r really sings." - Jerry Garcia
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

It is broken as in come apart. The housing is plastic about 3/4 to 1 inch square and the cup part of it was connected to the top plate by 4 plastic pins that were braded by heat to swell the part of the pin that sticks thru. I would just glue back but I think something is missing that connects the knob shaft to the workings. The unit will probably still function but is not adjustable.
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

And yes that is the inside of the Matchbox but the body of the control is square and plastic. Your photo indicates that other shaped controls would also fit.
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

OK, well, any 1 megohm, audio taper potentiometer that will fit will work. but you have to match the shaft diameter and style to the existing knob, and match the mounting method to the hole in the chassis, both of these to avoid modifying the chassis, and the of course overall diameter / box dimensions. I personally would go onto DigiKey or Mouser and use their search tools to find one.

but, first, the fact that I get absolutely nothing from Google on the p/n indicates that you may have written it down wrong, you might re-check that
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

George, it turns out that my other Match Box 60 has a Clarostat JA1N056S504AA, 500K, Type J pot. That's a volume pedal pot isn't it? I may have one of those.
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

I can't say if that is a volume pedal pot, it's just a random pot to me, other folks may know.
It is a 500k resistance as opposed to a 1 meg, so that's different.
You can try it, nothing will blow up, see how it works.
Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

I opened up the newer Matchbox 60 again and the mounting holes for the control and jack are different as well as the circuit boards looking different. May have to call Goodrich.
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

Yeah in my Googling I saw many different versions -- Kevin Ryan I'm sure will help out.