Shipping is crazy Mullen wants $213 to ship $110 parts!!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Landon Johnson

Shipping is crazy Mullen wants $213 to ship $110 parts!!

Post by Landon Johnson »

I stopped by Mullen's website to pick up a few spare parts for my 1989 PRP that is coming next week. I'm excited to get the guitar, but wanted to change the copedent a bit and get some extra clips 'n' screws and stuff - and a cover for an SD-10. Total probably less than 5 pounds and would fit in a non-oversize box.

Here's the quote I got just before not paying --- what a letdown!

I'll make the bellcrank at work (or modify one), find the springs and clips at Grainger and buy a beach towel.
Justice ProLite, Williams S-10, Quilter TT-12.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

That looks like freight to ship a guitar. Most likely a site glitch or other mistake. Probably ought to call Mike and the folks at the Mullen company direct and check.

Can't help with any of the other parts, but I should be getting some bell cranks in a few days. I could spot you one if you don't have any luck making or modifying.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:That looks like freight to ship a guitar. Most likely a site glitch or other mistake. Probably ought to call Mike and the folks at the Mullen company direct and check.
Agreed.

~Lee
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

The folks at Mullen are first class.
Mike aint gonna burn anybody.
Dennis Bailey

Post by Dennis Bailey »

That has to be a typo or other mistake as mentioned above. Mullen's customer service is excellent....might want to give them another try before you "throw in the towel" no pun intended.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

"Pull train" unfortunately means there's a pull rod involved which could likely mean a shipping tube which could up the price compared with a small USPS Priority box.
Maybe $21.30. Not $213.
Pretty obviously a mistake.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Yes I thought about that, but the pull train is for RKL so it's not going to be over 12 in. long probably.
Landon Johnson

Post by Landon Johnson »

I'm in no way slamming Mullen here - it does seem high. It's gotta be their shopping cart software, maybe? Perhaps shipping was added to every item separately and then summed together?

It was a shock for sure.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I would surely have checked with Mullen before posting this on a public forum. Some people will only read your post and go no further and it looks like you are flaming Mullen. IMHO
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Landon Johnson

Post by Landon Johnson »

Why would I check with them? They provided me a price quote and it seems high. My choice is to find a different alternative; not to call them and beg for a lower price.

As for 'bashing' Mullen I see no evidence of that in my post, and in fact when I saw things headed in that direction I made sure and post that this certainly wasn't the case. Had it been any other manufacturer I would have done the same.

If you would prefer I keep my experiences and opinions to myself I can certainly do that.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Landon Johnson wrote:Perhaps shipping was added to every item separately and then summed together
That was my first thought. I would certainly check with them before abandoning ship. (Pun not intended, but I can live with it.)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I believe a call, email, or private message to Mike would be in order.

The shipping cost is either right or it's wrong.

Only the folks at Mullen know for sure.

~Lee
Landon Johnson

Post by Landon Johnson »

Lee, I contacted them through their site. I'm hoping they were incorrect and that I'll be able to post the news here and let others know that there is an issue with their shopping cart software. Otherwise I'm sure I can find most of the parts I need elsewhere.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The shipping price does not look right.
Either their shipping soft ware is not programed right.
Or if information was put in computer by hand, Someone was having a caffeine or nicotine shake. They pushed on the 9 for 9 pounds and their finger shook and hit two times, Which told the computer 99 lb. and the computer calculated the shipping cost.

I would contact them by phone and see if they can recalculate the shipping.
Michael Sawyer

Post by Michael Sawyer »

Im old .i call people and talk to them so there aint no issues.
A lost art?
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

A lost art, I fear. I'm old but I use email :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Tom Sosbe

Post by Tom Sosbe »

going by some of the shipping cost I've paid recently, I'll bet the invoice is correct. And Mullen has nothing to due with it.
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Yes that is not us. That is our shopping cart that does it. Sometimes it works just fine and others it doesn't. We spend a lot of time with customer support to get it fixed and they always say it is not on their end. If ever concerned please just send us your shopping cart and we will make sure you are treated right. That is an enormous amount and is not correct.
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

With all the problems that websites and the internet have caused with providing wrong information for all of us I think it would have been fair to Mullen to contact them about the shipping price problem before making it public.

With that said, Landon, I do understand your exasperation with the shipping price quote.
Alex Stewart

Post by Alex Stewart »

I was buying some of Mullen's oil ($10) in that cool applicator. When I went through the checkout process the shipping calculator wanted $21. I emailed Mike and he gave me a decent shipping price. I believe that website is still a work in progress, shipping-wise.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

It used to be said that a picture was worth a thousand words.

In this case, a phone call or email would have saved a thousand words. hehe

I am still one that believes in actual human contact, especially if you have a problem.

Computers and social media are great, but one wrong key pressed can wreak havoc.

Thank you Mike Mantley for responding to this post
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.