Big Jim Murphy

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ray Uhl

Jim Murphy

Post by Ray Uhl »

I remember in the 70's meeting Big Jim at the Moose Lodge in Topeka, KS. He was with Hank Thompson's band. Our group played there,but Hank was a guest star they had booked. I had a modified 65 Fender Pro Reverb w/JBL D130 4ohm speaker. (kick myself for ever selling it) and my 66 Bolton. Jim was fascinated with the amp and tried every way to get me to sell it to him. He was a genuine very warm individual. You would have thought he knew me all my life. And man did he play that little single neck, and all those big chords, WOW!!! Everyone should experience a true musician vs.just a player. Definitely, a great memory for me. He was definitely a gifted musician. Oh, yeah, and pick up the Sax and play..... I should have sold all my equipment then, but still at it. :) :)
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

"Jim was mighty"
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Remembering Big Jim and revisited this video of his lightening fast playing on his ShoBud double neck. RIP Jim and Johnny (and Levon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUdO3OYBNJ0
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Big Jim was such a great player! Well remembered.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

When I worked at Bobby Seymour's Steel Guitar World, in the late 80's, Bobbe would go out with Johnny Paycheck for a week or two, now and then. Johnnny's other steeler was Big Jim. although I didn't see a date of the Paycheck video John posted, It looks like it is from this time.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Hey Chris. Been a while. We need to catch up. Anyway, I believe the date of this Paycheck / Levon Helm show was 1980 or 1981.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Thanks John.
I had a great tape of Bobbe playing on this Paycheck classic, "The Old Violin":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX_Z_fStWmg
Yes, John, let's catch up. .
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I met Jim on several occasions, he was amazing player , and great guy all around , I sure miss him , and will remember him forever
Daniel Dickie

Post by Daniel Dickie »

Great music and very talented on the steel.
Thanks for sharing I am going to look into more of Johnny Paychecks music of that era.
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

BTW what ever became of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame? Mary's gone and now so is Sandy. What became of the plaques? Will they ever see the light of day again?
PRR
billy tam

Jim Murphy

Post by billy tam »

Jim was a special player and very nice guy. I had the pleasure to listen to Jim several times when he was with Paycheck andthe last time was after a gig in a Holiday Inn room In Hammond, La.
Our lead singer, bass player, and myself and Jim and Paycheck. Included was a big bottle of Jack Daniels maybe a little contraband. Jokes and stories for several hours and Johnny had a guitar handy. I requested he sing “old violin” and he did by himself except for some of the harmonies. The emotion he performed that song that night still sends chills up my spine. Although I had been playing for many years Jim’s playing always inspired me. RIP Jim
Billy