Oh no! The NOTCH!!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Beller-McKenna

Oh no! The NOTCH!!

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Been struggling with my Super Pro's C6 LKL (reverse 6 pedal; raises string 6 a half step, lowers string two a half step). The second string hasn't been returning to pitch, needing a bump on pedal 6 (actually my RKL) to bring it back up to E. Oiling, prodding, examining, when suddenly "Ding, Ding, Ding," a bell went off in my head: it's the dreaded Super Pro notch!! Fortunately, I replaced the changer on the E9 neck last year so I have a spare set of fingers. I don't raise or lower 7 on E9, so I am guessing that old finger should be pretty notch free. I'll also check the string 1 finger on C6 (which I don't raise or lower) since I'll have to drop that one as well to get to the string 2 finger.

Good thing my class is taking an on-line exam this morning! And all that committee work will just have to wait an hour or two (what a pity) (not).

Wish me luck!
Dan Beller-McKenna

Success!

All is well again in Super-Pro land. Very glad it was the second string; only had to remove two pull rods. It would have been a lot harder to get at and more rods to remove if it had been something like the 6th string down.

As I suspected, the old E9 7th string finger (now the new C6 2nd string finger) was clean as a whistle. The old offending C6 2nd string finger does not appear as badly notched as I would have expected, but it was clearly enough to cause the symptom (lower not returning to pitch).
I Suspect I'll run in to this on other C6strings now that those fingers are over 40 years old. Might need to start doing the JB Weld fix to the retired E9 fingers so I have some in reserve.

All in all an easy fix. Well, easy because I happened to have a clean replacement finger lying around!
Lloyd Walsh

Post by Lloyd Walsh »

Sounds like we have the same gig, i have committee work today too and am getting dragged to campus on what essentially was an online office hour day. I recently picked up a Sho-Bud ‘77 LDG which Ricky Davis has been working on. I was going to pick it up today but now my plans got canned. We had the same concerns about pitting but luckily everything went back together smoothly. Good luck with the switch-a-roo, and hopefully the committee work goes quickly and the online exam is self graded.
Hack Professor of Art
Bass player: upright/electric
Lousy Guitarist
Rookie Steel player (pedal and non-pedal)
Instagram Artwork profile: lloydwalsh7405
Dan Beller-McKenna

Essay exam. :cry: :cry: :cry:

But only 12 students.

I don't even like to discuss committee work. :x :x :x
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Well done, Dan!

Isn't it great when you figure things out then, putting theory into practice, you pull it off and it works out like you thought?
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Dan Beller-McKenna

Thanks Roger, yes it is!
Of course, then there are all the times I do that and it doesn’t work. I don’t post about those. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Right.

That's when I go 'quiet', too.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Lloyd Walsh

Post by Lloyd Walsh »

Essay! Yikes..!! Hopefully no AI/ChatGPT over actual critical thinking. I’m busting more and more students lately.
Congratulations on the fix!!
Hack Professor of Art
Bass player: upright/electric
Lousy Guitarist
Rookie Steel player (pedal and non-pedal)
Instagram Artwork profile: lloydwalsh7405