VIDEO-E Diatonic tuning-Pedal Steelish sound

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Cunningham

VIDEO-E Diatonic tuning-Pedal Steelish sound

Post by Steve Cunningham »

R-3-4-5-6-R, low to high. Has anyone heard this tuning used before?
https://youtu.be/z_lnVw6EilU
Scott Rogers

Post by Scott Rogers »

This is cool Steve! I'm a follower of yours on your YT page and love to see your videos, thanks for sharing here as well! I'm going to be in ATL next week. Any chance you're gigging in the area next week?
Marc Muller

Post by Marc Muller »

I have Jerry Byrd 8 string C diatonic on the back neck. E up the alphabet to E. It's like all the white keys on a piano E to E. Really great single line stuff packed in there. Some great 4 note jazz cluster voicings.

Last edited by Marc Muller on 10 Jun 2023 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

That is the most convincing 6 string lap steel emulation of a pedal steel I have heard. Well done!
Steve Cunningham

Scott Rogers wrote:I'm going to be in ATL next week. Any chance you're gigging in the area next week?
Maybe you can grab one of these shows?
https://www.homebydark.com/events
Steve Cunningham

Tim Toberer wrote:That is the most convincing 6 string lap steel emulation of a pedal steel I have heard. Well done!
Thanks a lot Tim!
Tom Cooper

Diatonic

Post by Tom Cooper »

Really enjoying this tuning. Just getting back into 6 string playing, have 4 six stringers and this is going on one for sure. This, C6, and open E will be fun to experiment with, esp with retuning options. Great work and nice playing!
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

the Alkire tuning contains those intervals: xRxxx3456R . Here is a demo of what is possible on those top 6 strings on a dobro: https://youtu.be/99yIf_8X4wk?si=E0E-8GX9xkiLHEkw
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Steve Cunningham

Re: Diatonic

Tom Cooper wrote:Really enjoying this tuning. Just getting back into 6 string playing, have 4 six stringers and this is going on one for sure. This, C6, and open E will be fun to experiment with, esp with retuning options. Great work and nice playing!
Thanks a lot Tom, best of luck with it! I haven't used this tuning in several months...need to get back into it.
Tom Cooper

E diatonic

Post by Tom Cooper »

I have it on an old Oahu like yours,want to experiment at improve jam type setting I am supposed to go to soon, gonna have an Open E Supro with me as well if I get lost in the cornfield. Really like the maj/min relationships, how they lay out kinda similar to my other tunings, plus the flowing notes you get. Can always put it back in E6, my home tuning on bigger rig. Some cool choke, string pull possibilities also.
Steve Cunningham

Re: E diatonic

Tom Cooper wrote: Can always put it back in E6, my home tuning on bigger rig. Some cool choke, string pull possibilities also.
Which E6 tuning do you use?
Tom Cooper

E6

Post by Tom Cooper »

Just EG#BC#EG#. Same as C6 but higher. For my group I use a 10 string E13/9. BDEF#G#BC#EG#F#. Like Morell but with low B and high string F# like pedal steel. I have an old National 8 that needs new tuners, will do similar E13/9. Tend to like the high G# there, tried losing it, but couldn't wait to put back. Love the other E13 tunings also, esp one with low G#, but I had gig that did lots of Hank Sr, and just stuck with this one. I love to keep several 6 stringers in Open E and retune G#DEG#C#E,(I think that's how), just experimenting with it, saw some Hawaiian player on youtube that did that. Beautiful sound. I just got my 6 stringers back going again. Starting to appreciate them again.