Open D Major/minor tuning

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Karlis Abolins

Open D Major/minor tuning

Post by Karlis Abolins »

Over in the Pedal Steel section, there's a current thread about lowering the 3rd and 6th strings (the thirds in the diatonic scale) a half step on a pedal or knee lever to get a minor chord. I had that change on my pedal steel and used it a lot. When I simplified my steel life down to six strings non-pedals all tuned to open D, I found I missed the ease of getting a minor with a pedal or lever. I installed two benders on my home-made Doozietone in the standard configuration and found that I didn't really use them that much. I upgraded the bender to a Duesenberg bender because it offers lowers as well as raises. I lower my F# to F with one lever and the high D to Db on the other lever. I use the F# to F lever all the time. Doing harmony scales without bar slants is so enjoyable. I wish that I could put the F# to F change on my Weissenborn! However, I find I don't use the D to DB lever and am contemplating moving it over to the high A to raise it to B for an additional minor chord.

Any thoughts about what I could use the second lever for?

Karlis
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

No thoughts on the levers, but I'd love to see a pic of the Doozietone.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

Interesting thought, Karlis. Adding that A to B change gives you not only an extra minor, but with both levers engaged you’ve got a minor 6th on the middle 4 strings, and a nice diminished triad in there as well. Could be fun.
David K
Karlis Abolins

Post by Karlis Abolins »

Thank you for your thoughts.

Bill, Here is a picture of my Doozietone in its natural habitat. Honduran mahogany, glued paper fretboard, roller nut with gauged rollers, Lollar imperial humbuckers, Duesenberg Multi-bender.

David, I hadn't thought of the minor 6th. As a diminished chord, it would only be an inversion of a diminished chord (minor 3rd minor 3rd). I would need to raise the lower A to get a true diminished chord.

Karlis
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

Thanks Karlis for the pic. Very nice build!
Good choice on jack location, nice straight wire route.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40