lowering strings 6 and 3 a half step to make minors

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John French

lowering strings 6 and 3 a half step to make minors

Post by John French »

I have been looking at changing my pedals and levers to
match what I think I want to do. The first major change is to lower string 3 and 6 a half step. This would allow me to
play minors so much easier because of the way I think. In
addition you can get that bluesy sound of sliding from a flat 3rd to the 3rd. I don't see anyone with this set up. I know there must be a reason. Can please tell me what I am missing.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I like and have that change.
Traditionally there are several other methods of playing minors.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

I do. I just don't lower the high 3rd.

Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Another way to get the same sound is to raise string 4 & 5 a half tone, and slide back one fret. That’s easy if you’re good at half-pedaling the 5th (along with the “E” raise), and even easier if you’re lowering the 5th 1/2 tone with a lever so you can split the “A” pedal.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I would just go with the G#-to-G.
You can slam that lever and be dead on.
I think the reason this change gets Pa-Pood so much by Steel Players is that it's a guitar-player-knowedge based change.
I think it's great.
I also like Rickys take on it, in his copedant.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

A client brought a new-to-him guitar to me for a set-up. It had a zero pedal that was doing something that neither of us cared for. What I gave him on the zero was 3rd string G# > G and 6th string G# > A (duplicating the B pedal but...with a split-tuned knee lever lowering 6 a full step you can still get your G).
I love it. Not only can you get your simple minor chord. With 0 + A pedal you get a clean 7th chord on 3-4-5-6.
This is an irrelevant diversion since nobody asked about zero pedals but I just wanted to mention it.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

I've had that change on my RKR for as long as I can remember, on all 3 G# strings. On some of them I don't lower the high G# string because the pull is too long/stiff.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

Donny Hinson wrote:Another way to get the same sound is to raise string 4 & 5 a half tone, and slide back one fret. That’s easy if you’re good at half-pedaling the 5th (along with the “E” raise), and even easier if you’re lowering the 5th 1/2 tone with a lever so you can split the “A” pedal.
I learn something every day here. Thanks, Donny!
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Quite a few players do lower 6 from G#=>G. I think it's a bit less common to see G#=>G on string 3. But I don't see any reason not to do it, with the caveat that it generally takes, relatively speaking, a longer or stiffer throw to lower that thin G# string, as Earnest mentions. I imagine there are some guitars that have trouble with that. I think changing the typical 0.011 gauge to .012 gauge should help decrease the throw required, at the expense of a bit more force required to activate the change. Or course, one can also change the leverage by using a higher (away from the body) bellcrank hole, if available, to lower the throw and stiffen the change.

At least on string 6, I prefer to lower G#=>F#, which gives a lot of useful combinations - of course, F# is available on string 7, but for me it's also about the travel to the note. With this approach, G is obtained by splitting with the B pedal G#=>A. There are two methods achieve that. The first uses split tuning screws - the split change is first tuned to G, which causes the full G#=>F# change to be flat. Then the split tuning screw is tightened to give a maximum lower at F#. The second method is similar, but uses a separate pull on the string to raise the flat F# when the G#=>F# lever is fully engaged.

That full G#=>F# lower is tough on string 3, but I was able to get it on my Zum D10 if I put just those two changes on the lever. But in the end, I wound up not using it that much and removed it to add another C6 change on that lever.

Anyway - as Donny says, there are lots of ways to do things. Everything is a compromise, unless you just keep on adding pedals and/or levers.
John French

Post by John French »

Thank you for all the quick replies. It boggles my mind how many ways you can do something with this instrument. I come at this from playing the dobro and the blues that is why i was so interested in the half step drop in string 3 and six. I believe I will drop string 6 but leave 3 alone. I like Ricky's set up because it has a lot of what i wanted to do. I have a msa ssII D10 with 5 petals and four knee levers so I should be able to do the things i want. Thanks so much again.
Justin Shaw

Post by Justin Shaw »

G#->G is also useful elsewhere on the neck, like at -3 and +2.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Williams guitars puts this (Dave's way) on their standard E9 copedent...a split of string 6 G#->F# on RKL and G#->A on B pedal, with a split rod to make it perfect (raise the resulting flat G#->F# note).
So RKL+B=G#->G, no extra change needed...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Bruce Blackburn

Post by Bruce Blackburn »

That is how I do it on my Pro lite. Full step lower and spit to a half step with the B pedal
Rittenberry Prestige D10, Dekley S14U, (stolen) ZumSteel D10
(2) Nashville 112's Nashville 1000, Profex II Kemper Profiler Powered, Quilter Tone Block 202, Benado Steel Dream
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

The "Split Method" of lowering string-6 a full-step then raising it back up a half-step, doesn't work on Push Pulls.
I have two Push Pulls so I lower G#'s a half step.
On an Excel, you can have both if you want.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I've had G# to G (on string 6 only) for 40+ years. I too played guitar before pedal steel and that change made sense to me.

I use that change to play the first part of the melody of "Ghost Riders in the Sky": Am on fret 5. It also makes an eerie sounding minor 9th chord. Strum strings 8,7,6,5 with the lever engaged. I don't use that change as much as I did early on though. I find the other minor chord positions more satisfying, in general.
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 22 Oct 2023 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I have it on P4 on my D10: but I also lower the 9th to C#.

Initially, I only lowered the 6th to G but soon added the 3rd. Occasionally, lowering the high one causes a problem but that pedal gives me a minor 9th chord across the strings (and a m7b5).

It's also a nice A9th at the zero fret.

As for using it for the 4-minor, I rarely do that; I'm accustomed to finding the minor equivalent three frets up.

PS: I have also incorporated that pedal into my 12-string D13th; it works a treat.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

As an alternative, I have a knee that raises 1 and 7 to G. I don’t have experience to compare it to lowering the G#s, but it gets me my minors.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders